Grant and Compliance Manager – OVC (Kenya)
Job Type Full Time
Experience 7 years
Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Purpose of Position
The Grants and Compliance Manager (GCM) will provide overall technical support in the management of sub grants, facilitate training in program and finance management to sub-grantees, support sub-partners on sub-grant management and assist in reviewing sub-grants agreements. S/he will be responsible for ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations, legal and regulatory requirements governing the award and internal policies and procedures where applicable. The GCM oversees the overall compliance in the activity implementation from the development of work plans and budgets, reporting, sub granting, and budget administration as assigned by the COP or his/her designee.
The GCM is involved in developing and embedding best practices to comply with donor financial rules, supporting donor proposal budgeting, analysis of institutional income, donor contract expenditure reviews, monitoring and providing management information on key risks, contributing to the implementation of improved financial and programme management systems and processes to facilitate better donor reporting and compliance.
List statements describing the final results of this position and method of accomplishments, and how results/performance are reviewed and measured. Begin with the most important accountabilities.
Ensure compliance with grants regulations requirements (30%)
- Review expenses charged to the grant for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure donor requested information is submitted on time.
- Ensure grant implementation and reporting follows donor rules and regulations; and that the specific compliance requirements are effectively communicated to all partners at all times
- Work closely with the procurement department to ensure compliance with grants procurement guidelines
- Coordinate grant project audits & reviews and follow up on audit recommendations to ensure 100% implementation.
- Conduct scheduled grant compliance reviews / checks for all partners
- Actively participating and facilitating in project start up workshops to ensure financial aspect of projects are fully understood.
- Ensure grant projects’ close out procedures are done according to the donor guidelines.
- Support program staff in grant revisions, modifications, no-cost extensions, or budget realignments
- Support the preparations for external grant monitoring visits, reviews, and audits,
and evaluations and participate as appropriate
- Coordinate engagement, communication, and the feedback mechanisms between the organization donors, and local grant partners
- Interface with user departments, management committees to provide advice and recommendations relating to grants management and compliance
Institutional strengthening processes for Partners (Assessments, Capacity Building & Sub grantee Management) 35%
- Conduct the local partner selection and due diligence processes; and ensure that actions plans are developed to respond to identified issues
- Engage with the grant partners (Consortium, local implementing institutions and sub-grantees) to identify and co-create cost efficient and innovative solutions to improve local service delivery processes
- Develop, review and ensure that the grant partners identification, capacity building and compliance monitoring procedures are aligned with the regulatory, donor, internal policies and procedures, and industry best practices
- Monitor local partner’s performance and compliance with the local regulations and the donor requirements through site visits, audits etc and recommend actions necessary to resolve any identified issues of concerns.
- Lead local partners capacity building efforts, interpretation and execution of grant agreements in line with the agreed on terms and conditions.
- Monitor the implementation of action plans from capacity building sessions for return of investment.
- Conduct the local partner selection and due diligence processes; and ensure that actions plans are developed to respond to identified issues; and monitored for effectiveness
- Lead in the grant sub-granting process, ensuring that grant agreements are well executed and monitored for compliance
- Monitor sub-grantee financial performance and adherence to donor regulations
- Enhance Institutional and financial capacity of sub grantees through continuous training based on need and the due diligence outcomes
- Review of sub-grantee’s financial and narrative reports for compliance
- Oversee a comprehensive information management and filing system, ensuring donor contractual documents, reports, and key correspondences are consistently and frequently filed. This includes specific records and files on each sub-grantee ensuring access management is adhered to as per the established records management and retention procedures
Grant Risk Management and Quality Assurance (30%)
- Facilitate, and advise the chief of party in assessing grant risks and designing risk mitigation measures.
- Ensure that the grant partners identify and manage attendant risks proactively, mitigating actions are tracked for closure, and that the high level risks are incorporated in the grant risk register
- Document and ensure communication of key risks to the COP through the Monthly Management Report and provide quarterly risk analysis to inform decision making, and determine that risk reduction recommendations have been tracked and implemented as appropriate.
- Overseeing tracking and recording of Grant and Donor audits’ schedules and ensure audits are done within agreed timelines and reports issued to the donors within stipulated time.
- Ensure the projects is audited according to the donor requirements.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from audits and various donor accountability mechanisms are acted upon in a timely and effective manner in consultation with Operations Team.
- Ensure the grant operate within the established regulatory requirements, donor rules and regulations, and WV internal control systems to mitigate risks and ensure accountability that will result in good audit ratings.e.g.
- Adherence to donor VAT requirements and cost allocation mechanisms
- Ensuring payroll grant charges for assigned grant are accurately captured through the LDR system.
- Work with the project team to develop Terms of reference for the grant audit; and define schedules for compliance reviews
- Ensure that screening is done for all the project stakeholders so as to determine an individual or entity is not named on a restricted, denied, debarred, designated, or blocked party list.
Any other Duties assigned 5%
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Master’s degree in Business, Procurement, Accounting, Finance, Management, Auditing, Economics or related field
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in the NGO sector in Senior Grants/Compliance Management positions.
- In-depth understanding and experience of working with proposals and contracts from donors.
- Experience of complex planning and budgeting processes including the ability to provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures
- Demonstrable experience in leadership, strategic thinking and results based management in grant Compliance matters.
- Sound Knowledgeable on grant accounting and experience in donor funding e.g. USAID, DFID, UN etc. requirements.
- Experience managing and building management capacity of partners
- Demonstrated ability to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good Research, high analytical and critical thinking skills
- High proficiency in data management and reporting
- Experience in engaging and managing divergent internal and external stakeholders
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
About World Vision Kenya
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.