Deputy Chief of Party – OVC (Kenya)
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 – 8 years
Job Field Project Management
Purpose of Position
World Vision Kenya seeks Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID Local Partner Service Delivery Activity (LPSDA)-OVC Activity. The role is responsible for the overall technical oversight of the project and is specifically responsible for project implementation that relates to facility and community-level service delivery. The DCOP reports directly to the COP and takes a leadership role in ensuring technical implementation of high impact, proven interventions and ensures the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he assumes the responsibilities of the COP in the absence of the COP. S/he coordinates among USAID and key stakeholders and other implementing partners and interacts with numerous GoK institutions and representatives, particularly at the county-level. S/he is be knowledgeable about current implementation science and state-of-the-art service delivery approaches. S/he must have a broad vision linked with a clear understanding of how to get things done amid the constraints of the country context. The DCOP shall have a keen understanding of the unique political dynamics and work carefully and collaboratively to support the various entities in Kenya.
List statements describing the final results of this position and method of accomplishments, and how results/performance are reviewed and measured. Begin with the most important accountabilities.
- Planning, Implementation and Management (40%)
- Providing technical oversight and lead the HIV, OVC, FP/RMNCAH and Nutrition interventions implemented by the project;
- Lead in preparation of work plans and ensure that performance schedules are observed and outputs are completed.
- Ensure daily operations of overall HIV, OVC, FP/RMNCAH and Nutrition project implementation activities are on schedule and that reports, new plans and budgets are prepared with sufficient lead time to secure the necessary approvals
- Ensure project strategic objectives and results are fully accomplished and meet expected technical quality standards
- Coordinate project work, ensuring all project goals are met through proper design and implementation.
- Provide supervision, training and evaluate performance of Technical Specialists;
- Provide technical support to technical specialists from implementing partners.
- Demonstrate strong staff management practices, consistent with WV policies, donor requirements and local laws
- Ensure proper technical capacity of staff is available
Monitoring Evaluation and Budget Control(30%)
- Provide leadership and oversight of quality improvement and quality assurance activities.
- Ensure timely and accurate reports that meet donor requirements
- Manage grant budget within approved spending levels and ensure accurate and timely financial reports to donors and SO IPGs
- Ensure grant/project expenses are reasonable, allocable, prudent and spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations to ensure clean audits
- Establish and maintain effective reporting, evaluation, and internal communication
- Steer documentation and sharing of knowledge
Networking and collaborations (25%)
- Under the direction of the CoP represents the project and WV to USAID, local USAID Mission and other in-country cooperating partners, international and national project/consortium partners, UN Agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Promote effective networking, linkages to other programs and institutional strengthening on implementing partners and Community based organizations.
- Liaise with Ministry officials; coordinate and collaborate with top-management officials of Government of Kenya and its relevant line ministries and other agencies related to the project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Master’s degree in social sciences, public health, medicine, management, business administration, or a related field
- Eight years of experience in a senior role managing, complex technical service delivery programs of similar scope and dollar value.
- Five years’ experience in partnership building, especially with the government representatives, donors, the private sector, and local community organizations.
- Proven ability to manage technical teams and ability to integrate teams of professionals around common goals
- Keen understanding of the unique political dynamics of the country and ability to work carefully and collaboratively to support the various political entities in Kenya
- Familiarity with USAID and PEPFAR programs, their history and their development; mastery of USAID regulations governing such programs
- Past experience of working with USG supported projects and knowledge of financial rules and regulations at a senior level.
- Experience in developing program work-plans, budgets, managing implementation, staff and short-term technical assistance.
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral proficiency in English, and verbal communication skills in one or more local Kenyan languages (i.e. Swahili and other local languages).
- Excellent past performance references (Three contacts should be provided with e- mail address,
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results and meet all donor deliverables.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
About World Vision Kenya
World Vision is an international Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation working in almost 100 countries world-wide to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.