Job TypePart Time , Remote
The Development Officer is a part-time contract position that reports directly to the Executive Director. The Development Officer will be responsible for researching, writing and coordinating the grant application process, management of proposals and maintaining a donor database.
- Support ED in development and management of an annual fundraising program
- Support ED in building relationships with individuals and organisations to secure philanthropic support.
- Develop, create and continue to improve monthly fundraising reports to ED.
- Build and maintain database of existing and potential funding partners and a schedule for how to engage with them
- Conduct prospecting research from internal and external sources to identify, cultivate and solicit new grants and/or donor relationships
- Develop a grants strategy
- Develop and maintain a proposal calendar
- Research and collect data relevant to each grant
- Write high-quality grant proposal narratives, applications, and compile supporting documents
- Manage the proposal submission process to completion; ensuring timely submission of all required materials
- Follow up on the progress of submitted proposals
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in development; nonprofit experience a plus
- Demonstrable record of having written successful grant proposals
- Knowledge of technology applications for social impact, crowdsourcing an advantage
- Experience with writing grant applications to Private Foundations (Ford, Rockefeller, Gates, etc), Multilateral funders such as USAID, DFID, SIDA. Proven experience with African funding sources a major plus
- Detail-oriented, organized and deadline-driven
- Able to synthesize large volumes of information, and obtain input from multiple sources to reliably deliver high-quality proposals on time
- Excellent communication skills and ability to write clear, precise and compelling proposals
- Superior attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with purpose and accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- High proficiency with Google Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Location: The role will need at least 4 hours of overlap with East Africa Time
- Hours: The number of working days per month is expected to be in the 8-12 range
- The contractor will be required to submit comprehensive timesheets for the period worked and payment will be contingent on achieving mutually agreed milestones
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the position is filled
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Helping people raise their voice and those who serve them to listen and respond better Ushahidi, which translates to "testimony” in Swahili, was developed to map reports of violence in Kenya after the post-election violence in 2008. Since then, thousands have used our crowdsourcing tools to raise their voice. We’re a technology leader in Africa, headquartered in Nairobi, with a global team. We are a social enterprise that provides software and services to numerous sectors and civil society to help improve the bottom up flow of information. We believe that if marginalized people are able to easily communicate to those who aim to serve them... ...then those organizations and governments can more effectively respond to their communities' immediate needs... ...while simultaneously bringing global attention to their problems through the aggregation of their voices. Ushahidi is a non-profit tech company that specializes in developing free and open source software for information collection,visualization and interactive mapping.