Director, Eastern and Southern Africa, PQM+
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldAdministration / Secretarial
USP seeks a Director for Eastern and Southern Africa for USP’s ongoing Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) program with USAID. PQM+ is a $160 million program with approximately 4 years of implementation remaining that aims to promote access to and increased supply of quality-assured pharmaceutical products by sustainably strengthening medical product quality assurance systems. The Director, PQM+ Eastern and Southern Africa is responsible for leading a team of program managers and Chiefs of Party by providing strategic leadership, management and general technical direction in Eastern and Southern Africa to achieve program and country goals and ensure that activities address country needs and priorities. This position will be located in the USP Nairobi office and will provide management oversight to PQM+ programs in Eastern and Southern Africa region, including but not limited to Rwanda, Mozambique, Kenya, and Ethiopia. The Director is the key liaison between USP’s PQM+ field projects and the PQM+ Deputy Program Director and the PQM+ Technical Director in Rockville Maryland (USP HQ).
Roles And Responsibilities
- Provides management and technical leadership to Eastern and Southern African field activity leads, ensuring strategic, programmatic and contractual integrity of PQM+ projects while delivering on expansion in new countries and new health elements.
- Expands activities in new technical areas that have synergies with the PQM+ mandate
- Develops and delivers annual workplans and budgets relative to the Eastern and Southern Africa region to USAID
- Manages and ensures the timely submission of quality reports to USAID and lead in the development of communications materials for the region
- Increases the visibility of the valuable work accomplished by the PQM+ program for the region through various communications means and channels (webinars, publications, forums, technical working groups). Articulates
- PQM+’s objectives and mission to various stakeholders to promote the mission of the PQM+ program
- Ensures technical excellence and improves value in program technical implementation by ensuring the right talent and tools are in place
- Collaborates with the in-county teams and HQ staff to ensure the documentation of the program activities, highlighting technical and programmatic innovations, strengths, results and impact at local and international forums, technical briefs, in peer review journals etc.
- Leads and participates in assessment teams to evaluate and provide recommendations on medicines quality assurance and quality control capabilities in countries as requested.
- Leads start-up activities including scoping visits to determine priority regulatory and quality assurance systems strengthening interventions for new PQM+ countries in the region.
- Develops and fosters strong relationship with USAID missions in the assigned countries and with other partners in the region.
- Partners with technical team, and country program teams to identify opportunities for innovation, harmonize approaches, and maintain high quality standards in activity implementation.
- Provides critical input into the monitoring and evaluations of assigned programs and requires strong communication and coordination with field staff, support departments within PQM+ and USP HQ.
- Proactively develops trusted relationships with USAID missions in assigned countries, including through regular visits and ongoing communication
- Provides leadership to ensure that PQM+ work plan implementation and operational activities are compliant with USP and USAID policies, procedures and practices; recommends improvements to processes and controls to improve compliance and mitigate risks
- Proactively raises any risks to USP PQM+ leadership team, proposes approaches to resolution, and develops strategies to mitigate future issues.
- Master’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences, public health, or related field required
- 12 years of progressive experience in managing public health programs in low- and middle-income countries particularly in the Eastern and Southern Africa region; an equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted.
- 8 years’ experience leading USAID-funded or other donor funded global health program implementation and project management
- 5 years managing senior people
- Demonstrated experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations, ministries of health.
- PhD degree in pharmaceutical sciences, public health, or related field preferred; an equivalent combination of experience and education may be substituted
- Experience working with international non-governmental organizations and national diseases programs strongly preferred in low- and middle-income countries, particularly those in Africa
- Eight or more years managing senior people
- Extensive understanding of how medicine regulatory systems function in low- and middle-income countries
- Demonstrated experience working with and familiarity with USAID required.
- Strong communication skills and fluent in English language.
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally at least 30% of the time.
- Significant experience as a team player and commitment to bringing about change through a partnership approach
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.