Operations Associate, Inclusive Volunteer Management
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldAdministration / Secretarial
The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality services in the sourcing, identification and recruitment of UN Volunteers, as well as in the implementation of the Conditions of Service of volunteers, and the management of payroll, service desk and special initiatives for volunteers and UN entities globally. VSC works in close collaboration with relevant sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, pertinent policies and internal procedures.
Reporting to the Operations Associate, Talent Acquisition, the Operations Associate, Volunteer Management and Inclusion coordinates and provides support for volunteer management services for fully funded UN Volunteers, including Inclusion and Special Volunteer Initiatives. She/he also contributes to focused outreach efforts to strengthen partnerships with Full Funding (FF) programme donors to feed UNV’s talent pool.
Duties And Responsibilities
Provision of volunteer management services for fully funded UN Volunteers and/or those serving under Special Volunteer Initiatives (SVI)
- Coordinate with Regional Offices and Field Units the development of the Descriptions of Assignments in line with the requirements of donors or SVI partners;
- Act as an interface between VSC and the donors/SVI partners on issues related to recruitment and volunteer management;
- Closely monitor FF or SVI assignments at every stage and provide specific information to donors upon request;
- Provide volunteer management services encompassing the full cycle of volunteers’ engagement, from initial attraction through deployment and separation, in adherence to established regulations and policies;
- Support diversity and inclusion services provision by guiding the design of inclusive assignments, the assessment of candidate and host entity needs, and the assignment management;
- Guide UN Volunteers, their host entities and donors on Conditions of Service, as well as on the volunteer management cycle, and specific requirements of the FF, Inclusion and SVI programmes, and prepare relevant briefs and guidance notes, as required;
- Contribute to the improvement of systems and workflows identifying bottlenecks and proposing solutions to streamline processes. Alert on deficiencies or risks and escalate related issues to direct supervisor’s consideration;
- Liaise with Regional Offices and Field Units to look into special situations and to follow up on FF, inclusion and SVI assignments. Provide guidance on applicable regulations, rules and policies to ensure full compliance with accountability framework;
- Provide support to developing and regularly adjusting Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to facilitate compliance with FF donors’ reporting requirements.
FF donors’ and Host Entities’ relationship management support
- Act as the partner focal point for the implementation of the FF agreements and SVIs. In this regard, the incumbent works in close collaboration with the External Relations and Communications Section, Regional Offices and New York Office;
- Support preparation of individual volunteer reports and annual reports for the submission to FF donors;
- Support monitoring of project budgets in line with specific partner priorities and plan for the best utilization of the funds in close coordination with the Finance and Budget Section and the External Relations and Communications Section;
- Liaise with other team members in the Volunteer Services Centre, Regional Offices and Field Units to keep abreast of evolving demand for UN Volunteers requested under FF programmes, inclusion and special volunteer initiatives;
- Provide operational input to the preparation of FF and SVI agreements, in close coordination with the External
- Relations and Communications Section, Regional Offices and New York Office;
- Prepare and disseminate information and reports related to FF and SVI UN Volunteers as required;
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide inputs to the design of training materials and corporate activities towards building the inclusive recruitment and volunteer management capacity of colleagues in VSC and at the regional and country level;
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in implementing FF, Inclusion and Special Volunteer Initiatives to improve client satisfaction;
- Make contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Provide inputs and feedback for the improvement of IT support systems and related processes that enable the Centre’s timely and quality delivery
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies
Human Resources Management
Knowledge of HR management issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations
Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education with technical training in business administration, human resources management or related areas;
University degree in human resources, business or public administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of relevant experience in personnel and partnerships processes management;
- Experience with and knowledge on the inclusion of people with disabilities into the workforce;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment;
This post is open to nationals of Kenya only.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About UN Volunteers
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.