Finance & Human Resources Specialist
Job TypeFull Time
ThinkWell Kenya is recruiting a Finance and Human Resources Specialist to support the establishment and coordination of operational functions in a newly independent country program. ThinkWell Kenya is implementing Strategic Purchasing for Primary Health Care (SP4PHC), a five-year program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that is supporting countries to improve how funds are allocated to healthcare providers in order to achieve the goal of universal health coverage. ThinkWell is working with purchasers and policy makers in five countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Kenya, Burkina Faso, and Uganda) to design and test policy options to more effectively purchase primary health care services, with a focus on family planning (FP} and maternal, neonatal and child health (MNCH).
The Finance and Human Resources Specialist reports to the Kenya Country Director and oversees operational responsibilities in the areas of office set up and administration, human resources and financial reporting and tracking. The Specialist brings strong operations and people management skills as well as broad understanding of local law and operating requirements.
This is a full-time position based in ThinkWell office in Nairobi, Kenya.
Please note: Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a national benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
- Plan and monitor all office responsibilities (supplies, IT, communications, utilities, contracts for office services)
- Procure IT vendor, manage IT equipment and service provision
- Support the establishment and growth of the ThinkWell country office including government registration and liaison activities, administrative duties, legal and compliance requirements, logistics and procurement.
- Prepare correspondence and provide administrative support during meetings.
- Ensure proper accounting of all project transactions using ThinkWell’s accounting system and in line with local and funding agency requirements
- Manage banking operations and reconcile bank statements (receipt of funds, movements of funds in the accounts of the institution and payroll)
- Process invoices and record accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Ensure statutory compliance with various local laws and maintain financial files and support audits.
- Revise and/or formulate country office manual outlining processes, policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain filing system for financial documents in readiness for audits or tax reporting purposes and participate in financial audits
- Plan, implement and manage program budgets, reviews and reports
- Coordinate with Talent team to manage local staff recruitment
- Work with global operations teams to develop and manage a payroll system for local staff, including the calculation and remittance of tax and other statutory requirements.
- Help revise HR manual based on company policy and in accordance with labor laws
- Manage new hire onboarding and introductions
- Manage staff contracts for approval
- Develop and maintain a secure confidential HR filing system
- Partner with Country Director in the implementation of performance management system
- Coordinate with Talent team to develop training and development programs for staff
- Maintain employee records according to policy and legal requirements
- Thought partner with Country Director to address employee relations and performance issues
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:Think big, Influence the conversation, Empower others, Be exceptional, Always question, Relate authentically, and Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
- An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
- A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
- Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
- A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
- Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement.
- You always question and continuously learn.
- Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BCOM/BA/BS and 5+ years experience or graduate degree and 3+ years experience;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in financial management, accounting, donor compliance, human resources management, local labor law, and contracts management;
- Relevant work experience in management consulting firm, bilateral or multilateral development agency, and/or international NGO with some experience managing projects in low or middle-income countries;
- Technical savvy and strong computer skills, advanced MS Excel skills, IT systems familiarity;
- Understanding of and curiosity about establishing and operating a new country office in a complex setting environment;
- Understanding of Kenya labor, banking and procurement practices and law preferred;
- Demonstrated team and people management abilities with a focus on growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism in engaging with external partners, donors, and stakeholders;
Full English fluency;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Problem solving and decision making aptitude
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.