Purpose of the Position:
To conceptualize and oversee all editorial aspects of Storymoja’s English language offerings for upper primary and secondary school students. Help Storymoja realize its vision of getting a book in every hand by leading a profitable English publishing unit that produces world-class publications for local and international markets, partners, schools, and events.
- the conceptualization and successful implementation of annual strategic plans. Work with various stakeholders to develop ideas/concepts for new publication projects.
- research and regularly seek customer feedback to feed into the product development strategy.
and recommend subcontractors for prequalification and help generate/update rate cards.
- ensure manuscripts are well-edited and prepared for publication, effectively manage editor(s) and subcontractors. Capture key performance indicators in written contracts including:
- Clear, well-researched customer-centric briefs to which deliverables must adhere
- Originality, scope, level, and length of the project.
- Agreed processes (and examples where applicable), timelines, and budgets
- Substantive editing as per the agreed guidelines.
- Completeness and organization of the content of the project/s
- Consistency and clarity, style, readability, and appropriateness of language (no use of profane words).
- Design briefs to which deliverables must adhere.
- E-content briefs to which deliverables must adhere
- Legality (i.e., perform rigorous plagiarism checks to ensure the text will not result in legal suits).
- Fact-checking, accuracy, and quality control of the project at all stages.
- Copy-editing and proofreading to minimize/eliminate errors before printing
- Continuous review and revision of books after printing.
- Book brand sheets, reviews, and ratings – ensure templates are shared and filled.
- Adherence to set publishing systems and processes outlined in the manual
on project briefs agreed in the annual publishing strategy, prepare quarterly/annual departmental work plans and budgets for approval by the immediate supervisor.
- Solicit high-quality customer-centric manuscripts.
- Lead the author boarding process while maintaining a balance between established and upcoming authors.
- Proactively share all the approved publishing-related systems and processes and enforce them within the
- Professionally implement existing projects
- Manage the training of writers for various projects (as required).
the key liaison with authors writing for authors writing in English (Grade 5 and above)
and identify new material for co-publication and liaise with relevant contacts and negotiate rights for local and foreign editions, updates and co-editions, and translation rights.
yourself with the CBC curriculum designs for upper primary and secondary (when they become available) to obtain KICD approval on most publications.
- Ensure proper record keeping of critical publishing department items i.e. publications, database of stakeholders e.g. writers, illustrators, teachers, competitors, and industry players.
- Liaise with other departments to initiate and promote English book launches, writing workshops, and other related events.
- Monitor competitor activities and publications as well as other interesting projects or offerings and report in the monthly management meeting.
- Actively engage with various industry stakeholders and keep abreast of developments in the greater reading, books, and publishing sector locally and internationally.
- Represent Storymoja at KPA and other selected industry associations and initiatives.
- Run weekly departmental traffic meetings and represent the department at monthly management meetings.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to you by your supervisor and are related to the achievement of Storymoja’s mission and vision.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, publishing, English, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of publishing experience in a senior role.
- Excellent communication and comprehension skills, both written and oral, including professional and tactful
- demeanor in dealing with authors and editors.
- Experience in copyediting and proofreading (thorough knowledge of English grammar and technical, scientific, and set books writing styles).
- Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to handle multiple projects determines priorities and meets deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and both team-oriented and independent work abilities.
- Flexible approach to project work and creative problem-solving orientation.
- Excellent analytical, editorial skills, logical, and organizational skills i.e. knowledge and experience of managing multiple components in a Publishing environment
- Knowledge and experience in the rest of Africa Educational systems is desirable
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Storymoja Africa
Storymoja is an ethical, small but fast-growing profit-making social enterprise that primarily publishes books for children. Storymoja is probably best known for its annual international festival and the Start-a-Library initiative. Our vision is to ‘Get a book in every hand.’ Our mission is to become a commercially profitable business that stimulates and benefits from a vibrant East African reading and writing culture. Our core values – (POPSIR) – we are passionate, open, path-breaking, smart, value integrity, and are responsive to our staff, customers, partner’s and client’s concerns.