Relationship Manager – Commercial Banking – Chinese Speaking (Nairobi)
Job TypeFull Time
Experience5 – 7 years
To grow and retain a portfolio of high value commercial relationships by performing a proactive, mobile, value adding financial partnership role, ensuring that close personal attention is given to
providing a full array of customised financial solutions and services tailored to meet the growth needs and potential of the portfolio.
- Profitable Growth in SalesProviding advice on, promoting, selling and structuring a wide and diverse range of financial solutions customised to best meet the financial needs of high value commercial customers.
- Selling includes acquiring and opening new business accounts on a face-to-face basis, as well as Cross-selling additional value added solutions to the existing portfolio to assist clients in growing their businesses
- Identifying and taking ownership of sales leads generated for associate Group company stakeholders e.g. Vehicle and Asset Finance; Electronic Banking; Bancassurance/wealth management (where available) etc. to ensure a quick and knowledgeable response.
- Mining and analysing customer data to identify and plan for expansion and/or additional business opportunities.
- Developing and implementing a client calling schedule to visit all clients in the portfolio.
- Identifying opportunities to migrate top-end relationships.
- Customer Service Quality and EfficiencyProviding a central advisory/information/ query handling service point for the portfolio.
- Performing a proactive liaison role between customers and back office service fulfilment and credit functions.
- Interacting frequently and closely with all clients to analyse and establish ongoing needs and to assist clients to better understand their financial requirements.
- Accurately and efficiently processing customer mandates/ documentation requirements for financial facilities.
- Lending Support and Risk ManagementPlanning and implementing annual credit reviews for the portfolio.
- Explaining and structuring/ customising credit loan facility options, parameters and qualifying criteria.
- Supporting customers in the completion of credit application information requirements, e.g. balance sheets, financial statements and management accounts.
- Motivating and processing non-scored credit applications.
- Notifying customers regarding the approval/ decline of credit loan facilities.
- Exploring alternative solutions in the event of declines from Credit.
- Monitoring of daily referrals to ensure that client facilities are managed within the parameters set by Credit.
- Exercising discretion regarding account conduct based on a close knowledge and understanding of client activities.
- Managing and controlling industry sector, client exposure, and securities held to contain risk.
- Compliance with LegislationCompliance with general banking and Credit policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with KYC requirements.
- Responsible for the implementation and adoption (within Branch, Department or Section) of all Compliance, Anti-
- Money Laundering and Sanctions related requirements contained in policies, procedures and processes. This includes the consideration and approval of PEP on-boarding and continued business engagement in instances where no adverse information is available.
- People ManagementManaging the Account Analyst to ensure that work standards and quality work output targets are set, achieved and maintained.
- Managing the performance contribution of support staff.
- Identifying strengths and development areas and ensuring that support staff receive the requisite learning and skills development interventions.
- Proactively coaching and mentoring subordinates
Key dimensions of the job (to be completed by each Portfolio)
- Size & Complexity of Portfolio: 74 – 90 relationships
- Customer contribution: Above R70,000 per annum
- Annual revenue: Typically greater than US$800,000 per annum
- Lending: Non-scored
- Growth Potential: High growth potential, low share of wallet
- Service: Proactive partnership with personal attention
- Location: Serviced at customer premises
- Building ongoing close relationships with high value customers in the portfolio, as well as with various commercial business associations, is a critical requirement for the purpose of generating ongoing credibility, income and positive sentiment for the bank.
- The attainment of work results is critically affected by the ability to proactively market and sell complex specialised and/or customised financial structures and solutions in a highly competitive environment.
- Strengthening and leveraging well developed internal networks with group specialists and specialist consultants from associated Group companies & Business Units e.g. CIB, Agriculture, Electronic Banking, Bancassurance /
- Wealth (where available) and Vehicle and Asset Finance etc, is critical to the successful development of customised and tailor-made financial solutions that span the full spectrum of multi-product offerings.
- Leveraging internal networks with the Business Centre, Retail Branch staff, back-office Account Support/ fulfilment centre staff, Retail Credit Centre and Business Banking management stakeholders, as well as Group
- Legal specialists (when needed) is central to the successful delivery of a simpler, better faster service.
The relationship with Credit needs to be an excellent one.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Relevant Business related Degree from recognised University, particularly in the Commercial field (Business flavour)
- Previous portfolio relationship management experience (5-7 years in total) as a Business Manager and/or Account
- Executive managing a portfolio is preferable. This experience provides an understanding of how businesses operate, as well as understanding the business risks, industry risks and financial requirements pertaining to the commercial market.
- A minimum of 6 months previous working experience in Credit is preferable to gain practical exposure to lending principles and to establish credible relationships.
- Strong numerical skills and financial acumen to analyse, evaluate and identify trends in complex consolidated financial statements, balance sheets and ratios.
- A sound understanding of cash – flow cycles pertaining to the industry being analysed.
- A good knowledge of financial spreadsheet applications (e.g. Excel) to capture and analyse financial data.
- Good knowledge of general banking practices and procedures.
- A good understanding of the principles and practices of business economics and the current business economic environment.
- A good current knowledge of different industry sectors and sector risk profiles/ trends; this includes an understanding of the impact of climactic conditions on the agricultural market (if there are agric clients in the portfolio).
- A thorough knowledge of multi-level products available to business banking customers (features & benefits) and pricing structures.
- A good knowledge of financial investment options, vehicle and asset finance and electronic banking options for lead generation purposes.
- Good knowledge of Personal Banking product offerings.
- A good knowledge of competitor offerings and structures.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of Credit principles and practices, including an understanding of credit application, securities and balance sheet requirements.
- A strong working knowledge of the terms and conditions of multiple legal entities (companies, close corporations, sole proprietorships etc.) in the commercial market and the legislative restrictions & requirements governing these from a financial services perspective.
- Sound understanding of current taxation laws as they apply to the portfolio of customers.
- A good working knowledge of administration processes and procedures pertaining to Business Banking transactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of how to use the Group Reference Guide to access/ look up relevant information.
Business Knowledge and Contribution
- Risk Management
- Project Management
- People Management
- Financial Management
- Change Management
- Knowledge Management
- Delivering Results
- Serving Our Customers
- Communicating with Impact
- Working in teams
- Building Relationships
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Standard Bank
Standard Bank Group is the largest African banking group by assets offering a full range of banking and related financial services. "Africa is our home, we drive her growth” Our vision is to be the leading financial services organisation in, for and across Africa, delivering exceptional client experiences and superior value. This sets the primary goals and standard of excellence we intend to achieve in the medium term. With a heritage of over 150 years, we have an on-the-ground presence in 20 countries in subâ€‘Saharan Africa; fit-for-purpose representation outside Africa; and a strategic partnership with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC). In line with the realities of risk, regulation, technology and competition that characterise our operating context, we continue to invest significantly in our diversified operations; our people and culture; our systems and infrastructure; and our brand. In doing so, we understand that our commercial success and social relevance over the long term depends on placing our clients at the centre of everything we do, and ensures that the outcomes of our activities are a catalyst for growth on this continent we call home. The long-term foreign currency ratings for The Standard Bank of South Africa, the single largest operating entity within the Standard Bank Group, are: Fitch Ratings BBB- (negative), Moody’s Baa2 (negative) and Standard & Poor’s BBB- (negative). The group is listed on the JSE Limited, share code SBK, and the Namibian Stock Exchange, share code SNB. The largest bank in the world, ICBC, is a 20.1% shareholder in the group. Other than the 20.1% ICBC shareholding, 32.9% of Standard Bank’s shareholder base is foreign. We subscribe to the Code of Banking Practice, a set of principles governing banking in South Africa and ensuring the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and fairness.