Institutional Sales Trader
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldSales / Marketing / Retail / Business Development
Our international team provides trading, sales, structuring and risk management solutions for our clients across global financial markets. This includes FX, commodities, equity, credit, fixed income and debt instruments. We also offer market insight, trading services, analytics and new financial products across a number of asset classes.
To manage and execute all aspects of the Sales Trading process related to the sale, receipt and transmission of orders for diverse types of Equities and Fixed Income products to a local & global institutional, corporate and Financial institution client base, to meet equities sales targets while ensure alignment with the requirements and standards of Stanbic Bank and SBG Securities.
To ensure growth in company revenue by providing responsive, pro-active, proficient and efficient services to existing and potential clients in order to grow market share and retain existing business.
- Maintain and grow diverse global institutional client relationships (local institutions, international banks & brokers) and build a foundation of trust with clients by demonstrating an understanding of the client’s organization, strategy, and needs, clearly articulating desk ideas, and being responsive to clients’ needs. Use that understanding to develop a long-term partnership, ensure the effective representation of the clients’ business, helping clients build more effective businesses and unlocking greater value for clients and their investors
- Act as the dedicated point of contact for clients, working closely with our offshore trading desks them to facilitate best execution. Engage clients throughout the day and provide consultation, explanation and market color on trade performance review/analysis, and market structure. Respond quickly and with expert precision to ad-hoc demands.
- Work closely with Equities Sales Specialist to ensure comprehensive client coverage, participating in client initiatives and on client technical sales meetings. Provide day to day support to the Equities sales specialists(s) and clients, by receiving and responding to daily client queries, live trading queries, and by monitoring client flows.
- Where required, find the other side of the trade (i.e. finding a buyer or seller, depending).
- Ensure that integrity and honesty is always maintained in all client dealings.
- Work closely with research & sales teams to produce and disseminate market colour / conditions, liquidity themes and their applicability to the Equities offering, including the proactive creation and dissemination of indications of interest (IOIs), over various messaging methods, ensuring heavy disclaimers that recommendations are not compliance supported or sanctioned.
- Establish a high degree of competence with clients around executing trades. Work very closely with the Offshore trading team to discuss / understand the best way / strategy to implement / execute trades to mitigate risk, minimize slippage and communicate this clearly to the client-side trader to add maximum value
- Work closely with operations to assure the delivery of first-class post trade service by the GM Operations team (trade bookings, amendments, give-ups, settlements) and to maintain daily operational efficiency while minimising market risk and firm exposure. Where the trade can go on for days, engage with the client to keep the client up to date, confident and satisfied with delivery. Make sure operational management of clients is cost effective and effort is proportional to revenues
Risk, regulatory, prudential and compliance
- Monitor, measure, benchmark and evaluate all functional processes, tools and systems. Recommend improvements / changes to systems and processes, based on the market and industry trends, economic analysis and client feedback, to continuously improve policies, processes and systems, overall functional efficiency and experience. Implement changes and improvements where required
- Own and drive risk and control for area of responsibility, ensuring all activities are managed within the appropriate risk, controls, and regulatory parameters of the bank. Adhere to product risk limits and internal and external rules to ensure an optimum contribution to the bank in terms of profitability and risk control.
- Keep management informed of any changes in the product portfolio or changes in legislation that may affect SBG’s operations. Advise client on required regulatory compliance and ensure the involvement of required specialists
Corporate Broking trading desk support
- Deliver ad-hoc and day-to-day equity market conditions, investor views and trading intelligence to Corporate C-suite and Investor Relations teams to cement relationships, optimize cross selling opportunities and portfolio Flow sales revenue in the corporate client base
- Facilitate distribution and settlement of primary ECM transactions
- Collaborate with the Capital Markets- and sales teams to successfully distribute- and settle primary equity capital raised to institutional clients.
- Manage the public-side (institutional clients) Syndication of African ECM transactions, acting as a bridge between corporate and institutional clients in the public engagement of ECM transactions
- Manage coordination, communication and settlement of public-side ECM transactions with internal (ECM, sales, sales-trading, research, legal, compliance, back office) and external (investors and syndicate desks of other banks) counterparties
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- A Bachelors’ Degree in Business Commerce, Finance, Economics or a relevant field of study;
- Relevant CISI and ICIFA exams
- 2 years experience within stock exchange/investment banking environment
- Seasoned sales trading / dealing experience within an Equities business, selling across cash equities and fixed income across market segments. Demonstrated ability to form and maintain strong client relationships.
- Experience successfully distributing and settling ECM deals (IPO’s, Rights issues, ABB’s etc.)
- Product Knowledge – knowledge and understanding of the features, benefits and pricing of the equities- and associated other product suite and services on offer to clients;
- Local Market Knowledge – expertise on the opportunities, competitive environment, regulations, and risks related to doing business in a particular country.
- Customer understanding – ability to analyze customer needs by engaging with them, analyzing their business objectives and their financial position
- Client retention – ability to retain existing customers or clients, diagnose their needs and present product feature and benefits to retain their business Risk/ Reward Thinking.
- Effective business communications – the ability to communicate information and ideas in a clear and concise manner appropriate for the audience to explain, persuade, convince and influence others to achieve the desired outcomes
- Financial industry regulatory framework- Insight into and understanding of the various laws and regulations regulating the financial services industry
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Standard Bank Group
Standard Bank Group is the largest African banking group by assets offering a full range of banking and related financial services. "Africa is our home, we drive her growth” Our vision is to be the leading financial services organisation in, for and across Africa, delivering exceptional client experiences and superior value. This sets the primary goals and standard of excellence we intend to achieve in the medium term. With a heritage of over 150 years, we have an on-the-ground presence in 20 countries in subâ€‘Saharan Africa; fit-for-purpose representation outside Africa; and a strategic partnership with the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC). In line with the realities of risk, regulation, technology and competition that characterise our operating context, we continue to invest significantly in our diversified operations; our people and culture; our systems and infrastructure; and our brand. In doing so, we understand that our commercial success and social relevance over the long term depends on placing our clients at the centre of everything we do, and ensures that the outcomes of our activities are a catalyst for growth on this continent we call home. The long-term foreign currency ratings for The Standard Bank of South Africa, the single largest operating entity within the Standard Bank Group, are: Fitch Ratings BBB- (negative), Moody’s Baa2 (negative) and Standard & Poor’s BBB- (negative). The group is listed on the JSE Limited, share code SBK, and the Namibian Stock Exchange, share code SNB. The largest bank in the world, ICBC, is a 20.1% shareholder in the group. Other than the 20.1% ICBC shareholding, 32.9% of Standard Bank’s shareholder base is foreign. We subscribe to the Code of Banking Practice, a set of principles governing banking in South Africa and ensuring the highest standards of professionalism, integrity and fairness.