CAAC Programme Officer – Youth and CSOs in Peacebuilding
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 years
Job Field Project Management
Currently 420 million children – nearly one-fifth of children worldwide – are living in a conflict zone; a rise of nearly 30 million children from 2016. This number has doubled since the end of the Cold War. 142 million children are living in high-intensity conflict-zones; that is, in conflict zones with more than 1,000 battle-related deaths in a year. The numbers of ‘Grave Violations’ against children during armed conflict have almost tripled since 2010. Hundreds of thousands of children are dying every year as a result of indirect effects of conflict- including malnutrition, disease and the breakdown of healthcare, water and sanitation. In Africa, 1 in 4 children will be caught up in intense conflicts and 6 of the 10 most dangerous places for children to live are in Africa.
Conflict settings are where the toughest obstacles exist to achieving Save the Children’s breakthroughs as some of the worst forms of violence against children are perpetrated in conflict settings. The CAAC Programme Officer – Youth and CSOs in Peacebuilding will provide leadership and technical guidance on the Youth and CSOs in Peacebuilding component of the ‘Protecting Children in Conflict Africa’ Programme, and contribute to Save the Children’s Protection of Children in Conflict programmatic ambitions and the Stop the War on Children Campaign through a complex cross-regional Programme that has been growing since its inception in 2013.
The CAAC Programme supports programming and advocacy initiatives targeting children in situations of armed conflict and a wide range of actors such as the African Union, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), Regional Mechanisms (RMs), Treaty Bodies, Bilateral Institutions, Member States, Civil Society Organizations and Armed Actors both State and Non-State at strategic policy and decision making level to address the complex subject of children in situations of conflict.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences and extensive thorough working knowledge in Child Protection in Armed Coflict and Emergencies.
- 5 years or more experience in Child Protection Programming with at least 3 years cross-regional level experience.
- Demonstrated Postgraduate Professional or Specialist working knowledge and experience in Child Protection and specifically CAAC and Peace and Security Programming.
- Demonstrated Professional or Specialist working knowledge and experience in Youth and CSOs in Peacebuilding and specifically CAAC and Peace and Security Programming.
- Solid understanding and engagement with the African Union Peace and Security Architecture.
- Solid understanding of Armed Actors engagement and relations
- Demonstrated experience working on Youth and CSOs in Peacebuilding tools, methodologies and approaches.
- Demonstrated capability to make decisions with creativity and some independent judgment
- Demonstrated experience in influencing to obtain the cooperation of others.
Proven excellence in working in a team, being a team player, and significant experience working in an international organisation.
- An appreciation and understanding of how to manoeuvre in a context of shrinking space for civil society, ensuring
- Save the Children’s integrity and child rights are not compromised
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues facing children and youth, rights-based program approaches, and child safeguarding principles.
- Strong skills and proven experience in program management processes; also from the knowledge and learning perspective.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, communication and networking skills; proven experience and effectiveness working across functional teams and in a matrixed structure; and an ability to work with diverse populations.
- High level of self-awareness and willingness to take feedback for growth and self-development.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector work
- Proven experience in designing Terms of Reference, and ability to design and review evaluation tools and approaches.
- Direct experience of working with communities in participatory activities, including confidence in working with youth and an understanding of youth-friendly participatory methodologies.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Exemplary level of spoken and written English.
- Fluency in French, both verbal and written, desirable
- Contract duration: 3 years
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Save the Children
The Save the Children Fund, commonly known as Save the Children, is an international non-governmental organization that promotes children's rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries