Autodesk Design Fellow – Optimization Engineer – Mechanical / Process
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Engineering / Technical
Project Description: Lower the cost of treatment while producing valuable agricultural inputs, serving the community and environment, and doing it profitably. The intern will work as part of the
New Technology Commercialization team, who are responsible for building and commissioning Sanergy’s large scale waste treatment facility, which will be capable of upcycling 200 tons/day of organic waste using our novel insect processing technologies.
A critical component of the process is the feeding phase of the larvae. This is not only where the waste treatment happens, but also where 90% of the value is created, by converting that waste into valuable protein. The feeding phase needs to efficiently manage the 200 tons/day of waste that is delivered for treatment.
The equipment selected for this process has been adapted from other agricultural applications and will require significant on-the-ground innovation and improvement to optimize the process efficiency and effectiveness.
The Autodesk Expert Fellow project will focus on post-commissioning assessment and optimization of the new equipment and end-to-end process, with the aim to also prototype and implement improvements to the equipment and process designs. Through innovations, the Autodesk Expert Fellow has the opportunity to significantly impact performance, outputs and operational costs and the role includes an exciting combination of hands-on prototyping and troubleshooting with solid engineering and design.
About this Fellowship Project
Objective of the Fellowship: Analyze mass insect rearing equipment and process flow to optimize for rapid change-over and throughput.
The fellow will be responsible for:
- Partnering with New Technology Commercialization Design/Build team to commission and troubleshoot new mechanical material handling equipment.
- Designing engineering solutions to enable rapid setup, changeover and knock-down of the equipment to ensure cost and throughput targets are met.
- Preparing drawings (CAD and 3D) for any prototypes and design changes required.
- Overseeing any fabrication and assembly of solutions, as well as testing and implementation of the solution.
- Assisting in further optimization of these designs if possible, through direct engineering or work process flow modification.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate should possess the following:
- Strong design skills and experience working with Autodesk product design software for preparation of design prototypes, fabrication drawings and stress testing.
- Proven experience in utilizing HCD principles to design affordable, desirable products.
- Experience conducting primary and secondary research to inform design.
- Familiarity with challenges and trends in manufacturing.
- Ability to work independently to move deliverables forward.
- Proven ability to structure and conduct design research and development without supervision.
- Enthusiasm and skills necessary to bring structure to an open-ended question, going from a wide-open space of many ideas to a concrete, actionable recommendation.
- Experience working in a developing country context would be beneficial but is not required.
- Creativity, humility, integrity and a sense of humour.
- Enrollment in the Autodesk Student Expert program prior to the internship commencing.
What’s in it for you
The fellow with work on an exciting project leading the development of black soldier fly rearing – a new process in a growing industry. The scope for interesting and varied solutions is huge, there is a lot of potential to unleash creative, interesting solutions and develop knowledge in a growing niche industry.
The fellow will gain hands-on, real-world experience by:
Designing and engineering novel solutions to an interesting problem
Being at the cutting edge of an immature process (BSFL production)
Partnering with young engineers to mentor and lead them to growth and success.
Project location: Nairobi, Kenya – Remote work
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above t apply for this job.
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities - called Fresh Life Toilets. We provide critical support services - such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer, insect-based animal feed, and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the end products to Kenyan farms under the brand name Farm Star.