Finance and Administration Officer
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
The ideal candidate will have some prior experience working in a similar role. You will be happy working as a member of a small team in a dynamic and diverse organization with a global reach.
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Application deadline: 17 March 2021
Start date: As soon as possible
Description of Duties
Financial accounting and control
- Key in transactions into the accounting system (QuickBooks Online) as required. Ensure that the relevant support documents for all payments are submitted by the Programmes team and properly filed by finance either on
- Dropbox or in physical files as may be required. These include payment vouchers, supplier invoices, consultant contracts and all pre-contracting documentation.
- Work with the rest of the finance team to ensure timely and accurate preparation of financial reports such as management accounts and donor financial reports.
- Perform monthly supplier reconciliations.
- Maintain a fixed asset register and ensure it is accurate and up to date.
- Coordinate procurement, including sourcing and purchasing items as requested using the RVI procurement guidelines.
- Undertake monthly bank reconciliations.
- Manage petty cash, including accurate recording of all expenses paid by petty cash.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of monthly expenditure reports from all RVI offices, staff and consultants.
- Maintain and prepare the monthly accounts of expenditure for the Nairobi office.
Office administration and logistics
- Maintain an up-to-date supplier/vendor list.
- Maintain inventories of office supplies and manage orders and requests.
- File corporate documentation in physical and digital form, ensuring all physical documentation is filed in RVI’s Nairobi office.
- Keep track of expiry dates of all RVI insurance policies and escalate accordingly necessary action to be taken.
- Ensure all finance and administration deadlines are recorded in the institutional calendar and reminders are sent to all involved.
- Assist in ensuring that RVI meets its financial statutory obligations in Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Somaliland.
- Provide logistical support for travel and accommodation arrangements for the Executive Director, Nairobi office and visiting RVI staff and consultants (e.g. taxi/airport transfer booking arrangements, flight bookings, hotel accommodation and pricing, etc.).
- Ensure all office equipment runs properly and is well maintained. This includes monitoring the working condition of assets, such as computers, and performing periodic asset verification exercises. Report any defects to management for relevant action to be taken.
- Coordinate with the programme team to ensure that the finance team receives approved staff and consultants travel plans before date of travel. Ensure the travel calendar is up to date.
- Ensure that all RVI staff submit their leave and TOIL forms and ensure the leave register is up to date.
- Ensure office environment is orderly and clean.
- Manage incoming phone calls.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance) degree
- Master of a professional accounting/administration course will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the accounting/finance and administration field
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in English
- Track record of rapid skills acquisition and adaptability
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Accounting Software and Excel would be an added advantage.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Rift Valley Institute (RVI)
The Rift Valley Institute (RVI) is an independent, non-profit organization, founded in Sudan in 2001, currently working in seven countries in Eastern and Central Africa. The aim of the Institute is to advance useful knowledge of the region and its diverse communities, bringing a better understanding of local realities to bear on social and political action. The RVI works with institutions in the region to develop and implement long-term programmes that combine action-oriented research with education and public information.