Communications & Marketing Manager (Nairobi)
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Media / Advertising / Branding
RefuSHE is looking for an experienced, forward-thinking Communications & Marketing Manager to develop and lead RefuSHE’s overall external relations, communications, and marketing strategy and implementation in partnership with RefuSHE’s External Relations Officer, their US-based counterpart to help further RefuSHE’s mission.
This role will be instrumental in advancing the overall external communications strategy through the development and implementation of relevant communication, social marketing, and advocacy campaigns to help further RefuSHE’s mission and elevate our brand as an innovative thought leader in the field of refugee protection. S/he will work closely with the Program Team to gather impact numbers and key programmatic updates and then translate them into compelling narratives for emails, blog posts, and social media updates. The ideal candidate is ready to combine their passions for storytelling, communications, and marketing their passion and knowledge of refugee protection and gender issues and is excited about taking our story to the next level. S/he will work directly with the External Relations Officer based in the US to design, develop, and launch RefuSHE’s overall external relations and communications strategy. S/he will work closely with RefuSHE’s leadership team to align communications goals with overall organizational goals. S/he will also work closely with the Director of Marketing and Artisan Initiatives (US) and the rest of the Artisan Collective team in Nairobi to expand the Collective’s reach by bringing our products to more markets.
- Work in partnership with US-based, External Relations Officer, to design, develop, and implement communications, marketing, and external relations strategy to advance RefuSHE’s mission
- Design, develop, and lead the creation of organizational marketing materials, including but not limited to brochures, impact reports, blogs, articles, thought pieces, videos, graphics, and photos
- Development and implementation of the communications and branding budgets and Annual Work Plans in tandem with applicable operational guidelines.
- Support to RefuSHE’s Offices in the evaluation of communications and documentation needs, and development of communication plans embedded in the annual work plans.
- Develop and build-out processes to share communication updates between the U.S. and Kenya offices on a regular basis
- Provide programmatic updates and needs to incorporate into communication pieces throughout the year for campaigns, events, blogs, media, etc.
- Collaborate directly with the External Relations Officer on campaign communications, especially as it relates to capital and programmatic fundraising campaigns
- Work closely with the Program Managers to recognize each program’s story, craft the through-line narrative, and prepare materials accordingly for the larger communications plan and materials
- Craft ideas, messaging, and talking points for external use, with the intention of solidifying strategic partnerships, especially across East Africa
- Train the Kenya Program Team on storytelling techniques and produce strong communication pieces
- Identify and manage relationships in traditional and non-traditional spaces for RefuSHE to promote its story
- Design, develop, and launch communications plans and collateral for fundraising campaigns that match the organization’s overall business development goals including print and media
- Oversee all video and photography production of program activities in Kenya
- Oversee all media relations in Kenya
- Craft ideas, messaging, and talking points for external use, with the intention of solidifying long-term, strategic partnerships
- Stay abreast of changes in the global refugee landscape so that RefuSHE may publish timely content and serve as a thought leader in this space
- Design, develop, and lead the creation of organizational marketing materials in both print and digital format, including but not limited to brochures, impact reports, blogs, articles, thought pieces, videos, and photos
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, Masters’ degree in communications, marketing, or journalism degree preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a strong ability to turn data and numbers into concise and compelling narratives
- Exceptional storytelling writing skills a must, an eye for sharing stories through photography, video, and other multimedia channels a strong plus
- Creative ability to capture photos and videos for communication pieces either independently or with the support of contracted photographer and videographers
- Experience designing and developing press releases, annual and grant reports, blogs, and articles required
- Strong digital marketing and social media experience
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to ensure clear communication in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively across teams and time zones to manage multiple assignments
- Deep connections in the global development space
- Program background experience a plus so that RefuSHE’s story can be told from a deep programmatic perspective
- Advanced experience in communications and marketing for a global nonprofit a plus
- Demonstrated experience managing and planning strategic events a strong plus
- Demonstrated graphic design experience highly desired
- Experience launching new products to market a strong plus
- Demonstrated experience with data-driven product launch especially in the artisanal space highly desired x
- Expectations and Compensation
Salary is competitive and based on the candidate’s experience and qualifications. The benefits package includes medical healthcare coverage and pension.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click ‘APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
To apply please send your resume, cover letter, and a 1-2-page writing sample to Mary Henneberry with “Communications & Marketing Manager – (Your Name)” in the subject line.Applications will be considered incomplete without the submission of all three requirements.Position open to Kenya nationals only.
Human Resources & Administration Manager
P.O. Box 63192-00619, Nairobi
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted