Kenya Country Director
Reporting to: Africa Regional Director
Start Date: As soon as possible, depending on notice period
Precision Development (PxD) is a global non-profit organization that harnesses technology, data science and behavioral economics to empower people living in poverty to improve their lives. By providing actionable information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, PxD empowers poor people living in developing countries to improve their livelihoods, mitigate risks, and advance environmental sustainability. PxD, through its primary project, Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD), delivers customized agricultural advice to smallholder farmers via their mobile phones. PxD implements this pioneering model of agricultural extension in collaboration with partner organizations to maximize scale, and continuously experiments, iterates, and gathers evidence on impact to improve service delivery and demonstrate value. PxD currently works in nine countries in Africa and Asia, is launching operations in Latin America, and is rapidly expanding as governments and organizations look for innovative ways to utilize new technologies to deliver actionable information to people who need it. As of the end of 2020, PxD was serving 3.8 million farmers through a range of services providing tailored information on crop optimization, pest management, input utilization and environmental stewardship. PxD is piloting the use of mobile technology to deliver information in sectors beyond agriculture, including the use of SMS to facilitate math education in Kenya.
We are looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing, flexible team as a Kenya Country Director. You will work in a non-hierarchical team and have opportunities to work closely with PxD and affiliated researchers and substantially contribute to PxD’s research programs that test new ideas and measure their impacts.
The Country Director will oversee operations of the organization in Kenya including program management, partnership development, human resources, finance and administration, and legal compliance.
The Country Director will report to the Africa Regional Director and will work closely with other relevant Program Leads and Global Directors, and various research affiliates. The position will be located in Nairobi, Kenya. PxD is a start-up organization and will require flexibility from all staff with regards to roles and responsibilities.
The Kenya Country Director will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Contribute to and execute PAD’s research and program vision in Kenya;
- Take a lead role in the implementation of new and existing projects in Kenya, with input from the Global team;
- Design and monitor implementation plan and budgets and supervise the implementation of operations across all projects in Kenya;
- Support the development and utilization of appropriate research methods and program management tools and systems;
- Hire, train, and supervise local staff and take responsibility of local office and physical infrastructure;
- Work with local legal counsel to ensure compliance with Kenyan law and to develop and implement local policies and guidelines;
- Build and manage relationships with Kenyan partners to facilitate the development of PAD services, including technology providers, private businesses, government, development organizations, non‐profits, other service providers, and implementation partners;
- Assist PAD in fundraising and donor management efforts;
- Take a proactive role in developing and building the mid and long term financial sustainability of PAD Kenya;
- Liaise between PAD Global and Kenya‐based team to ensure compliance with PAD policies and to support reporting to PAD internal and external stakeholders (research, program implementation, financial, other); and
- Complete any other work determined by PAD CEO and/or Africa Regional Director as necessary to successfully grow and manage PAD Kenya.
Qualifications and Experience
- 7+ years of experience in developing country contexts including 3-4 years in a management position;
- Master’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, public policy, or a closely related field;
- Experience leading large programs, including managing relationships with governments and multiple stakeholders;
- Experience in developing research projects (preferably quantitative research);
- Experience with budgeting and project planning;
- Leadership and organizational skills, and experience to make things happen through complex bureaucracy;
- Communication and writing skills;
- Experience with managing donors and large grants;
- Commitment to leading a diverse team in a multicultural environment and building staff capacity;
- Ability to work under tight timelines, and flexibility to engage in multiple projects;
- Ability to travel within Kenya and internationally;
- Experience living and working in Africa; and
- Knowledge of, or familiarity with, randomized controlled trials and experimental research.
In other words, you should apply for this position if:
- You want your work to have a meaningful impact on the lives of the poorest;
- You want to work with a diverse and dynamic team that includes agronomists, data scientists, developers, research associates, product development specialists, researchers and academics, finance and HR specialists, etc;
- You are a firm believer that technology can help develop new cost-effective interventions and can serve the poorest;
- You are excited to experiment, test, iterate, and learn what works and what does not. You are able to think “outside the box” by spear leading the development of innovative interventions that challenge the traditional approach of the development sector;
- You have a strong interest in agriculture but also in other sectors (e.g education). You want to supervise a diverse portfolio of projects, that includes different sectors, different types of interventions, and different sample sizes (from a few thousand beneficiaries to over half a million);
- You have a keen interest in research and impact evaluation, particularly quantitative research and RCTs;
- You want to be challenged on a daily basis, learn from your colleagues but also lead them in the right direction;
- You are an excellent manager and you care about the people you supervise;
- You are keen to form new partnerships with various organizations in Kenya;
- And you want to be part of a fast-pace, fast-growth organization with ambitious reach targets.
- To apply, please visit the PxD website and use the online application form. The job position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until the position is filled.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD)
Our mission is to support smallholder farmers in developing countries by providing customized information and services that increase productivity, profitability, and environmental sustainability. Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD) is working on a new model for agricultural extension: reaching farmers with personalized agricultural advice through their mobile phones. We implement this model in collaboration with partner organizations and gather evidence on its impact. We aim to improve the lives of 100 million farmers in developing countries with our services.