Deputy Director- Adolescents 360
Job Type Full Time
Experience 10 years
Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Department:Sexual and Reproductive Health
Reports to:Director, Adolescents 360
Timing: October 2020
Travel: Up to 25% travel (Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, USA, UK)
- Serve as a member of the A360 leadership team.
- Help foster a high performing and positive team culture.
- Deputize for the A360 Director when required.
- Line manage the Senior Technical Advisor (ASRH) and Senior Technical Advisor (Research and Learning).
- Lead a deliberate and concerted effort to build the technical capacity of the country teams.
- Lead the development, adaptation, and evaluation of A360’s technical strategy for the next phase of this project, building on the learning from the first phase of the project.
- Support the Senior Program Manager and Program Manager – who will serve as the point people for each country – to provide day-to-day technical support to the country teams.
- When technical assistance needs extend beyond the capacity of the Senior Program Manager and Program
- Manager, work with them to identify the technical assistance (TA) needs.
- Work with A360’s technical advisors to plan TA, drawing on A360’s technical advisors, country teams (peer-to-peer), PSI’s global team, consultants, and technical partners.
- Establish peer-to-peer technical assistance systems to leverage the capacity within country teams and provide high performing, high potential individuals with professional development opportunities.
- Work with country leads and the project’s Senior Program Manager and Program Manager to define the scope of work for technical partners and consultants and manage the relationship and deliverables.
- Oversee the execution and appraisal of TA by A360’s technical advisors, country teams (peer-to-peer), PSI’s global team, consultants and technical partners.
- Lead the development of A360’s replication strategy to support others to replicate A360’s approaches and coordinate the technical assistance required.
- Collaborate with the SRH department’s other technical advisors to ensure strategic alignment, leverage departmental capacity, and advance PSI’s thought leadership.
- Keep abreast of the latest literature on ASRH and ensure key learning is shared across the global and country teams.
- Be responsive to the requests from donors and produce quality deliverables in a timely manner.
- Review donor communications such as reports for technical accuracy.
- Be accountable for the technical team’s travel, consultant and ODC budgets, ensuring budgets and forecasts are based on robust work plans, expenditure is tracked on a monthly basis, and corrective measures are taken.
- Attend monthly donor calls, quarterly leadership calls and the annual program review meeting.
- Host stakeholder site visits.
- Support new business development as appropriate.
Research and learning
- Oversee the production of knowledge products by the A360 core and in-country teams to support adoption of
- A360 approaches by third parties, ensuring all technically sound, use plain English, and are tailored to the intended users.
- Oversee the production of conference abstracts and papers, technical publications and peer review journal articles.
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop and sign off the technical content in external communications.
- Work with the process evaluators to shape the process evaluation, disseminate learning and make course corrections.
- Represent A360 in external fora, including technical working groups and regional / global conferences.
- Coordinate A360’s global advisory panel.
What are we looking for?
You should be client-focused and embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism:You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Possess
- A higher education qualification such as an MBA, MPH or other relevant Masters’ degree.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in program management and technical assistance roles.
- A breadth of technical expertise including ASRH, HCD, public sector strengthening and research.
- Experience of effectively providing technical assistance across multiple countries.
- Experience of working on complex multi-country projects.
- Authentic individual with strong emotional intelligence, especially self-management.
- Experience of managing others effectively, including remote and matrix management.
- Solutions orientated.
- Good judgement and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong technical writing skills, including the ability to communicate with brevity and in plain English.
- First-hand knowledge of some or all of the A360 geographies.
- Sound financial literacy and budget management experience.
- An aptitude for being highly organized, diligent, and reliable.
- A commitment to PSI’s mission and its sexual and reproductive health strategy.
- Experience of working with BMGF and/or CIFF would be an added advantage.
- This role will be based in Nairobi with local terms applicable.
- References will be required and a background check will be performed.
- PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
About Population Services International
We have been measurably improving the health of Kenyans since 1989. Our approach harnesses the vitality of the private sector to improve health outcomes for "Sara” - our archetype that focuses our interventions. We address the most serious health challenges affecting resource-poor and vulnerable communities in Kenya, including HIV/AIDS, reproductive health and family planning, and the greatest threats to children under five including malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia and malnutrition.