Senior Coordinator – Human Resource
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldHuman Resources / HR
Plan International Kenya Strategy statement
Plan International Kenya’s strategic goal in the next five years is to end teenage pregnancies and as well as sexual and gender based violence. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIK will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly approximately 3 million (tbc) girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2021-2025 and to reach an additional beneficiaries through its interventions.
The Senior HR Coordinator will be responsible for developing and implementing Performance Management, Learning and Development and Staff Engagement initiatives that will drive Plan International Kenya’s Country strategy in line with its purpose and Values. The incumbent will also work with the Country Human Resources Manager to ensure that the HROD services provided meet organisational needs and standards. S/he will also be expected to work in collaboration with Line Managers to ensure that best HR/OD practices are embedded in the organizational processes.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Learning and Development 20%
- Contribute to the development of and implement a learning and development strategy that supports the delivery of the Country Strategy.
- Coordinate annual learning and development planning, budgeting, funding for training and evaluation.
- Facilitate competency and learning needs assessment processes for staff and prioritize learning and development within the organization.
- Identify and recommend suitable learning options and channels that meet individual, team and organizational requirements.
- Ensure personal development plans are in place and implemented in line with the Country strategy; follow-up on progress and return on investment.
- Coordinate induction and orientation for new staff.
- Talent management – Support the establishment of a High Potential Program in line with the organizational current and future requirements.
- Coordinate management & leadership development programs.
- Internship – coordinate the implementation of graduate internship program when it is in place.
- Measure and document impact/Return on Investment on L&D programs
Performance Management 20%
- Coordinate the performance management process to ensure timeliness against the annual performance management calendar
- Be accountable for the performance management component in the HRIS, generate periodical reports and make recommendations for management decisions and direction
- Train managers and staff on effective performance management including alignment with the Country Strategy and annual plans, continuous feedback and coaching for performance
- Coordinate probation assessments and staff confirmation.
- Train managers and staff on aligning individual performance with the organizational performance
Guide managers and staff towards an accountability culture where outstanding performance is recognized and poor performance is corrected.
Staff Engagement 20%
- Lead the preparation for and create awareness of the annual staff engagement survey.
- Analyse the survey results and coordinate the action planning and feedback processes.
- Establish and implement staff engagement initiatives and strategies that correspond with the survey results as per available budget.
- Facilitate the implementation of appropriate change management initiatives; provide advice and support to employees during change to ensures teams that are flexible, positive and open to change.
- Promote a culture where feedback is appreciated and there is cohesiveness among staff and staff with the leadership.
- Ensure there is healthy team culture where success is celebrated, people are valued.
- Establish a mechanism for exit surveys, analyse data and make recommendations to inform organizational practices and policies
- Ensure there is healthy team culture where success is celebrated, people are valued
Other HR Responsibilities 20%
- Contribute to HR Business Development processes including manpower planning
- Lead the development of job descriptions and job evaluations
- Act as a link between PIK recruitment processes with the Shared Services Centre
- Participate in disciplinary and grievance procedures as appropriate.
- Support staff benefits administration
- Ensure staff are aware of relevant policies and procedures and implications of not adhering to them.
- Promote a work environment that demonstrates fairness, openness and equity.
Financial Responsibility (5%)
Staff activity budget e.g. Learning and Development, Staff engagement, Staff care/wellness budgets
Risk Management (5%)
Work with the Human Resources Manager to ensure that risks related to Human Resources Management are identified and mitigated
- Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) (5%)
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan
- International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures;
- Ensure that Programme implementation staff at the country office and in the field are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensure that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Within the scope of the role, there will be additional assigments as needed
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant proven experience in HROD
- Membership with IHRM
- Excellent knowledge of training and development, training process and adult learning
- Ability to negotiate, advocate and influence effectively at all levels of the Country Office and outside of line management relationships.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships and networks quickly at every level within the Country Office and outside.
- Listening, coaching and counselling skills.
- Ability to support and manage change effectively.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
Masters Degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development or related
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Plan International
Plan International was founded over 75 years ago with a mission to promote and protect the rights of children. The organisation was set up by British journalist John Langdon-Davies and refugee worker Eric Muggeridge in 1937, with the original aim to provide food, accommodation and education to children whose lives had been disrupted by the Spanish Civil War.