Under the direction of the Deputy Director of Management & Operations (DDMO), the Administrative Assistant is expected to exercise full compliance of administrative, financial and human resources activities in line with Peace Corps provisions, rules and regulations. This is a multi-functional position requiring a great degree of motivation, planning, flexibility and creativity and a high degree of self-direction, organization and ethics.
As a professional position, it is anticipated that at times the duties and deadlines of this position may require the incumbent to work beyond normal working hours
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration ,Finance, or related field
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, human resources or related area is required.
- Experience in budgeting, administration and logistical management with relevant government agencies, NGOs, or private businesses.
- Must be completely fluent in both spoken and written Kiswahili and English. Fluency in other languages common in Western Kenya is preferred but not required.
- Successful completion of training in Microsoft Office Suite is preferred. Expert facility gained through work experience may be substituted for training
- Ability to work independently with little supervision; good organization and time management skills; willingness to take the initiative; excellent teamwork skills, strong service attitude; personal integrity; strong cross-cultural skills; and strong interpersonal skills.
- Must demonstrate knowledge/skill in word processing, bookkeeping, budget management and excel.
- Ability to operate a computer, and prepare documentation quickly without errors is required.
- Ability to learn office computer programs and databases is required
- Preferred qualifications: Experience working cross-culturally. Experience working with Americans strongly preferred.
- Financial Support:Receives all invoices for payment, reviews them for accuracy, and prepares vouchers for payments;
- Serves as office liaison with vendors to ensure prompt pay, to collect vendor data and banking information and to resolve billing issues;
- Assist in receiving and logging in all vendor checks, reimbursement checks, project checks and insures timely distribution;
- Maintains all vendor files, maintains invoices, scans for uploading liquidations to HQ Global Accounts Payable office, ensuring that the required naming convention is observed in accordance with HQ policies and procedures;
Makes “For Post” database entries.
- Works with the Director of Management and Operations ( DMO) and DDMO to plan and prepare the annual budget request for both appropriated and PEPFAR budgets, by providing prior year costs and estimating future costs;
- Collects information for quarterly budget reviews and annual country operational plan;
- Prepares quarterly procurement report;
- Maintains all administrative files;Prepares bills of collection for staff for phone usage, vehicle usage, and other purposes;
- Assists the DDMO and General Services Manager (GSM )in local procurement of supplies and equipment as necessary;
- Handles and assists with periodic medical inventory;
- Participates in organization and implementation of the Emergency Evacuation Plan (EAP), and provides any other safety and security support for Volunteers and staff as appropriate.
- Backup Volunteer Support:Assists in maintaining and preparing leave, living, & travel allowance pay list for all Volunteers.
- Assists in implementing changes in PCV allowance system with the DMO and DDMO.
- In coordination with the Volunteer Support Assistant, conducts PCV surveys including living allowance and settling in allowance surveys, analyzes results, and reports findings to the DMO and Country Director.
- Assists with the administrative procedures for PCV Completion of Service (COS), including distributing airline tickets and processing en route allowance in conjunction with DDMO and DMO.
- Coordinates volunteer administrative procedures for Medevac, Emergency leave and early termination, including preparation of Travel Authorizations, Purchase Orders and cash disbursements.
- Backup Human Resources Support:Assists with personnel issues for permanent and temporary employees
- Works with DMO and DDMO to collect information needed to draft contracts, amendments for all local hire
- Personal Service Contractors and to produce reports required by PC HQ;
- Assists in briefing current and new staff on administrative policies and procedures regarding salary payments, vouchers, etc.
- Safety and Security DutiesImmediately communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the
- Safety and Security Manager and Country Director.
- Reports to appropriate staff member safety incidents and/or issues that pertain to the security of Volunteers, staff or Peace Corps property.
- Supports safety and security function by updating the Country Director, Director of Management and Operations, and Director of Programming and Training phones with pertinent data and up to date contact information.
- Knowledgeable and supportive of Peace Corps safety and security policies and procedures, including the timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons or articles.
- Serves as back-up for Safety and Security Manager or Safety and Security Assistant
- Administrative AssistantMinimum Base Annual Salary Kshs. 2,063,394. This remuneration does not include:
13th month bonus
90% health insurance premium contribution
other mandatory contributions
Starting Base Annual Salary may be increasedup to a maximum range and commensurate with documented salary history (e.g. Employer’s pay slip, statement of pay). Annual performance-based increases possible.
Method of Application
Please note: This position is based in Kisumu. Housing is not provided and relocation costs are not paid.Interested and qualified applicants are required to access the complete Application Instructions and Statement of Work at https://www.peacecorps.gov/kenya/contracts/Failure to follow Application Instructions will result in your Application being rejected.
Applications accepted by email only at KE-Recruitment@peacecorps.gov
Your application email subject line should be “Admin Assistant–Your Full Legal Name”
Applications that do not meet allrequirements will be discarded
Attach 1 single file including a combined Cover Letter(describing how you meet the minimum qualifications)and your current CV only
Attachmentsize is limited to1MB, emails with larger file sizes will be discarded.
.Attach only Word or PDF files, ZIP/compressed not accepted.
Application updates and confirmations of applications received are not provided.If selected for shortlist interview, you will be contact by phone and/or email
Telephone inquiries are not accepted. More than one position may be filled with each vacancy announcement.
All hires are contingent upon funding availability.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Peace Corps Kenya
The Peace Corps is a service opportunity for motivated changemakers to immerse themselves in a community abroad, working side by side with local leaders to tackle the most pressing challenges of our generation.