Director of Strategic Communications
Activity Overview and Role
Palladium seeks a Director of Strategic Communications to lead internal and external communications for the Feed the Future East Africa Market Systems Activity, a 5-year, $23 million task order under USAID’s Regional Integration and Stronger Economics (RISE) IDIQ mechanism. The Activity is designed to promote increased agricultural production, trade, improved policies, finance and investment, and resilience to shocks and stresses in the East Africa region by addressing agricultural issues that can only be solved on a regional basis. The Activity will collaborate closely with USAID/Kenya and East Africa’s regional intergovernmental partners, including the East African Community (EAC), the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), and the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) region. The Activity is organized under four objectives: 1) Strengthening cross-border agricultural market systems, 2) Accessing and scaling technologies, 3) Strengthening regional resilience, and 4) Strengthening the regional agriculture policy and regulatory environment. The geographic area of focus includes the East African countries of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, and Zambia.
The Director of Strategic Communications (DSC) will collaborate closely with the Project Manager and the Deputy Project Manager to create and oversee the implementation of the project’s internal and external communications strategies to reflect communications priorities. S/he will develop and implement multifaceted external communications strategies including messages, tactics, and deliverables specifically designed to educate and engage policymakers, regional bodies and associations, private-sector actors, and civil society. S/he will report directly to the Deputy Project Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Project Manager in the successful management of all administrative and programmatic functions and activities
- Design and implement a results-oriented communications strategy utilizing a range of communications tools including media interviews, social media platforms, conferences, workshops and project events, project publications, videos, media sponsorships, and external engagement opportunities.
- Design communications tools to effectively communicate activities and progress (e.g., videos, workshops, conferences, and public events, visual images and infographics, press releases, social media, radio messaging, etc.).
- Conduct media relations for the activity (including organization of press conferences and other high-visibility events).
- Plan and host regular learning events to share information and reflect upon lessons learned to continually improve performance.
- Under the direction of the Project Manager and Deputy Project Manager, maintain close and collaborative relationship with USAID and the U.S. Embassy teams on all outreach and communications efforts.
- Coordinate on strategic communications issues and questions with Palladium Home Office Project Director and Palladium’s Communications team.
- Manage internal communications and foster knowledge sharing across objectives and geographies.
- Maintain digital library of images and other communications tools and gather and catalogue media highlighting the work of the project and partners.
- Proactively lead the drafting and finalization of project deliverables, including coordinating information gathering for quarterly and annual technical reports, project success stories, and annual work plans.
- Ensure appropriate branding and marking for all activity assets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline such as public relations, mass communications, public policy, or journalism. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of work experience in strategic communications or a related field.
- Technical understanding of issues related to regional cross-border trade, private sector engagement, agricultural development, or other relevant Activity areas.
- Proven experience designing and/or implementing a local, national, or regional strategic communications strategy.
- Experience leading communication efforts for bilateral or regional USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Strong written communications skills, competency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience designing visually appealing communications materials; graphic design skills a plus.
- Strong Preference for Kenyan and East African citizens.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Palladium International
Palladium develops and delivers solutions that create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We transform lives and create enduring value by working with governments, corporations and non-profit organisations.