Business Development Associate (Grant Writing)
About The Role
One Acre Fund is growing fast: we aim to more than double in scale within the next five years. This growth will be fueled by fundraising. We are looking for a proven and passionate writer to join our dedicated 8-person writing team within our broader Business Development team.
You will report to a senior writer, immediately take on a portfolio of reports and proposals for smaller grants, and receive intensive writing mentorship over the first 6-12 months. Your work will then quickly ramp up in value, complexity, and independence. This is a career-track position, with multiple pathways to management based on performance and preference.
This position is also available to be based in New York, NY. See job posting here.
- Write grant reports and proposals. Our writing team crafts powerful prose about One Acre Fund’s work and customers, with emphasis on strong logical flow, hard data, and farmer-centric perspectives. This is a backend role; you will partner with our frontend fundraisers to tailor each piece to each donor through a collaborative drafting process.
- Manage complex projects. We expect writers to “own” all stages of a writing project, with support from colleagues and team leadership. You will set and manage timelines, coordinate input from multiple teams, and ensure error-free work, typically for 2-3 overlapping projects at any one time.
- Invest in program fluency. To be effective, writers must develop and sustain a deep working knowledge of One
- Acre Fund’s operating context, model, results, and future plans. For individual projects, you will also often conduct additional research into potential donors or specific aspects of our work.
- Provide ad hoc writing/research support to senior team members
- Contribute to team-wide writing tools/systems
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund is proud of our culture of continual growth. You will have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance, including career reviews every six months and quarterly opportunities to discuss aspirations and career goals. We invest in helping our people build rewarding long-term careers at One Acre Fund, which in turn helps us grow stronger as an organization.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2+ years of professional writing experience. This can include – but is not limited to – professional experience in journalism, grant writing, and/or copywriting.
- Can share 2-3 writing samples that demonstrate ability to write concise, well-structured, jargon-free prose
- Can share 2-3 concrete examples of having successfully managed complex writing projects with multiple stakeholders
- Genuine commitment to rural communities. You are passionate about providing opportunity to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Language: English
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Commensurate with experience
- Health insurance, paid time off
- This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Kenya.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About One Acre Fund
One Acre Fund is a nonprofit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty.