About the Role
One Acre Fund is growing fast: we aim to more than double in scale within the next five years. This growth will be fueled by fundraising. We are looking for a proven and passionate writer to join our dedicated 8-person writing team within our broader Business Development team.
You will report to a senior writer, immediately take on a portfolio of reports and proposals for smaller grants, and receive intensive writing mentorship over the first 6-12 months. Your work will then quickly ramp up in value, complexity, and independence. This is a career-track position, with multiple pathways to management based on performance and preference.
- Write grant reports and proposals. Our writing team crafts powerful prose about One Acre Fund’s work and customers, with emphasis on strong logical flow, hard data, and farmer-centric perspectives. This is a backend role; you will partner with our frontend fundraisers to tailor each piece to each donor through a collaborative drafting process.
- Manage complex projects. We expect writers to “own” all stages of a writing project, with support from colleagues and team leadership. You will set and manage timelines, coordinate input from multiple teams, and ensure error-free work, typically for 2-3 overlapping projects at any one time.
- Invest in program fluency. To be effective, writers must develop and sustain a deepworking knowledge of One Acre
- Fund’s operating context, model, results, and future plans. For individual projects, you will also often conduct additional research into potential donors or specific aspects of our work.
- Process fundraising-related correspondence received at our US office.
- Provide ad hoc writing/research support to senior team members.
- Contribute to team-wide writing tools/systems.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 2+ years of professional writing experience. This can include – but is not limited to – professional experience in journalism, grant writing, and/or copywriting.
- Can share 2-3 writing samples that demonstrate ability to write concise, well-structured, jargon-free prose.
- Can share 2-3 concrete examples of having successfully managed complex writing projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Genuine commitment to rural communities. You are passionate about providing opportunity to the hardest-working farmers on the planet.
- Language: English.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About One Acre Fund
One Acre Fund is a nonprofit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty.