Designer (Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI)
Job TypeFull Time
QualificationBA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
Job FieldEngineering / Technical
Are you a designer who is passionate about human-centred design which can improve the quality of peoples work and lives? Do you believe that Africa can lead the world when it comes to technology innovation? Are you excited about working as part of a multi-disciplinary team to design prototypes and products at the cutting edge of research? If so, then come and join us as a designer in the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI), Nairobi, Kenya.
The MARI is a first of its kind research institute, closely combining foundational research, with product innovation, engineering and design to create the technologies of the future. Our mission is to understand, build and deploy innovative cloud and AI technologies which not only address core opportunities in Africa and contribute to solving local challenges at scale but also hep to create a more productive future of work, health and society globally. This will involve research at the cutting edge of HCI and AI.
We are looking for designers of the highest caliber to help create this new research institute. The ideal candidate will be smart and creative, and willing to embrace new concepts and ideas, and to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team consisting of ethnographers, computer scientists, designers and engineers to create groundbreaking new technologies whilst keeping the people who must use them at the heart of innovation.
- Be able to come up with innovative design concepts
- Design user-experiences from low-fidelity sketches to hi-fidelity pixel perfect mockups
- Create rapid prototypes to validate design concepts with users and project collaborators
- Be able to communicate design principles and direction to multi-disciplinary teams and communicate design specifications to engineers
- A Masters/Bachelors in Design, plus at least 2 years of work experience
- Background and experience in visual communication and interaction design
- Strong work portfolio that demonstrates systematic and creative design thinking as well as a deep understanding of UI/UX best practices.
- Proficiency in graphic design, motion graphics, digital art, a sensitivity to typography, color, layout, and a general awareness of materials/textures
- Be as happy designing something ridiculously blue-sky OR something immediately implementable
- Proficiency with a range of interaction design, visualization, and rapid design prototyping tools
- Ideally some experience in video/film making or animation
- As part of your application please attach your CV, a link to your portfolio and the names and contact information of at least two references.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Microsoft Corporation (commonly referred to as Microsoft or MS) is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Redmond, Washington, that develops, manufactures, licenses, supports and sells computer software, consumer electronics and personal computers and services. Its best known software products are the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems, Microsoft Office office suite, and Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers. Its flagship hardware products are the Xbox video game consoles and the Microsoft Surface tablet lineup. As of 2011, it was the world's largest software maker by revenue, and one of the world's most valuable companies.