Audit Support Team – Senior Officer
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Finance / Accounting / Audit
Role & Responsibilities
Verify the quality and compliance of relevant documents (e.g., Finance / Log / program records, etc.) on programs, and review Medair procedures as appropriate. Maintain the field audit schedule, collaborate and co-ordinate field audits or GSO audits, and timely follow-up on findings/recommendations from various auditors to ensure proper internal control.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, raising and managing the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and recruiting international and GSO staff.
The aim of the Audit Support Team is to lead and co-ordinate all the aspects related to the donor / statutory audits, in order to demonstrate systematically the accountability of Medair to our donors / relevant authorities regarding the compliance of Medair’s work per Medair’s own procedures and per donor’s regulations via providing the necessary evidence.
Workplace & Conditions
This is a Medair Global Support Office (GSO), based in the Shared Service Center (SSC) in Nairobi, Kenya.
Kenyan citizen or hold a Kenyan work permit requested.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
November 2020. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure comprehensiveness of proper records for each country.
- Lead and manage country programs where recurring delays or gaps are identified to enable the country team to address the causes of the delays or non-adherence.
- Monitor and maintain KPIs for completeness of the relevant documents on BOX system.
- Drive resolution and escalate related issues as appropriate.
- Analyse and review expenses related to field documents. KPI monitoring on internal controls.
- Drive adherence to Medair’s internal control for aligning with Medair procedures through sample sizes.
- Ensure definition and implementation to internal controls based on audit recommendations / findings.
Co-ordinate / collaborate to Field audits & GSO audits
- Actively lead and co-ordinate the “Audit Schedule” to ensure all audits (donor audits, statutory audits and other audits) are logged in and tracked properly.
- Co-ordinate / provide support to the corresponding Finance Managers for field audits and monitor the compliance with the standardized audit process.
- Monitor the progress of Field Donor Audits, and act as the key connect with various auditors and key internal stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of milestones.
- Coordinate the retrieval of Finance, HR, Logs & Programs relevant documents in collaboration with the Field, GSO departments and GSO Audit Team Lead per auditors’ “Samples list”.
- Proactively analyze the relevant evidences to verify if in compliance with requirements and procedures.
- Ensure proper reconciliation of salary costs (the biggest cost) through the Cost of Employment template, with support from Finance Specialists.
- Ensure quick response and tight collaboration on providing responses to auditors’ queries.
Audit process monitoring
- Maintain an overview of the Audit Calendar (field and GSO) based on grant agreement / grant card data and input from the fields.
- Review the completeness of the Grant Cards regarding the audit requirements.
- Maintain / review / optimize BOX folder structure; make available new audit folders for scheduled audits in the fields and at GSO. Proactively seek different alternative for better storage.
- Systematically follow-up on submission of audit reports by auditors after GSO & Field audits.
- Ensure timely update of audit findings following field audits.
- Proper follow-up on implementation of action plans by Lead department / Action owner.
- Closure of Projects in country programs. Finalize review after project closure to ensure that all required documents are available in the archives to minimize future audit risks.
Physical records management
- Ensure the proper and comprehensive management of the physical records (arrangement of the archive room, communication with other departments regarding their records, research of interns…).
Other Continuous improvement projects
- Take on any additional projects assigned in relation with continuous improvement in the department and processes (example: Naming convention regarding Box structure, review of policies linked to the retention of documents…). Or other projects as needed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor degree of Accounting or Finance and CPAK or ACCA.
- Internal controls certification desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- A background in audit would be appreciated, at least 2 years’ experience.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Good communication skills. Well organized.
- Analytic and problem-solving skills. Detailed oriented. Statistical mind. Data analysis capacity.
- Engaged in his / her work. Proactive mentality. Team work spirit.
- High capacity to complete work tasks independently with high quality. Good comprehensive mind.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the International Committee of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, and not be used to further a particular political, social, or religious viewpoint. Our first and last considerations are the needs of the people we serve. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity-working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We do whatever it takes to bring relief where it’s needed most. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: Health care and nutrition. Safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. Shelter and infrastructure. In all we do, we pursue the highest professional standards of quality, accountability, and sustainability. Our experienced teams carry out our projects in close connection with communities, listening to their needs, helping them improve their essential services, and providing them with training for the future.