Vice President – Market Development, Sub-Saharan Africa
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Administration / Secretarial
The Market Development function has a broad remit but at a headline level the function is responsible for supporting the growth and diversification of our business beyond our traditional “core” issuing revenues across the Division. This includes but is not limited to the diversification of our business in existing markets (e.g. identification of new and non-traditional stakeholders/clients, identifying and selling-in new solutions); and supporting entry to new geographies and segments.
This role provides leadership for all Market Development activities across the Sub-Saharan Africa Division, which include, but is not limited to
- Developing revenue streams from non-core products and solutions by establishing clear go-to-market strategies, developing sales strategies and delivering the various sales KPIs including revenues. The non-core products and solutions that are within the scope of the role currently are:
- Fraud and Security solutions
- Payment Transaction Services
- Payment Gateway Solutions and allied products
- Digital Solutions (including QrCode)
- Commercial / B2B solutions
- Prepaid Management Services
- Acceptance development & expansion across CP & CNP vectors with both traditional (FI acquirers) and non-traditional stakeholders (PSPs and aggregators), building the acceptance footprint, bringing new acceptance devices and driving new use cases with market-by-market ‘go-to-market’ , taking into account the Division’s longer term strategic initiatives.
- Direct ownership and management of Acquirer relationships across SSA, in partnership with the Account Management teams.
- Strategic merchant management (in partnership with Digital Partnerships as appropriate), including MNOs, Fintechs, PSPs etc.
- Driving our agenda to “touch more transactions”, providing value-added services to our key stakeholders
- Own and deliver the SSA new consumer target
- Analyze business opportunities to increase volume and share. Implement both short and long-term strategies and tactics to increase revenues, market share of transactions and profitability.
- Strategically define and build business cases with new business models, with new partners considering new distribution channels to drive the MasterCard business
- Leverage all MasterCard assets and product management resources to deliver exceptional merchant/acquirer/partner value that drives customer & consumer brand preference for Mastercard.
- Work closely with Divisional, Regional and Global resources, contribute to developing market specific business plans through the provision of appropriate market intelligence and to take responsibility for the implementation of those plans.
- Interpret and assess available MIS to identify opportunities for innovation
- Design and deliver business cases for new payment / technology / innovation initiatives which will require engaging players in the mobile, advanced payments, CPS, prepaid, government and acceptance value chains, establishing new partner / vendor/ enabler / joint venture integration with capabilities to sustain MasterCard’s competitive advantage.
- Serve as a key spokesperson and voice for Advanced Products and Acceptance Development within Sub-Sahara and South Africa, both internally and externally.
- Directly manage and be accountable for the Market Development teams across the SSA geographies.
- Take joint ownership with the SSA Leadership team to deliver the overall SSA Division strategic plans and yearly budgets on all KPIs, including Revenues, New consumers, CIF etc.
- Be a key member of the SSA Leadership Team and of the MEA Market Development Leadership Team
Key Competencies Sought
- Business development & Sales management
- Revenue & Expense management
- Knowledge leadership
- Business case design
- Solution orientation
- Results driven
- People leadership
- Influence, assertive, initiative
- Autonomous, independent, accountable and responsible
- Quantitative, qualitative and analytical insight
- Commitment, passion and energy
- Previous experience in the mobile/financial services/technology/retail payments business
- Strong understanding of the retail environment, especially retail payments value chain
- Deep international strategy, marketing and business development experience
- Strong management (people and projects), problem solving, analytical and organizational experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple stakeholders in a multicultural environment across multiple geographic locations
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills, extensive experience in communicating in international environments at senior management levels
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Organization and time management skills; ability to multi-task
- Exceptional business judgment and strategic planning skills
- Business Case development, including financial analytics; Budget preparation and management
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Solid solution development skills and effective working both independently and in a team environment
BS/BA required, MBA preferred
- Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
Mastercard is a leading global payments & technology company that connects consumers, businesses, merchants, issuers & governments around the world.