Country Manager – East Africa
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Working within MasterCard’s business group model, the Country Manager (CM) is responsible for the general management from a customer, employee and regulatory perspective in the countries and is accountable for the business proposition in the designated markets. The CM, as a leader in the business, has the accountability for the business objectives, as assigned by the business group to whom the leader reports.
The CM will define the country strategic direction, together with regional leadership; he/she contributes to the overall growth and success of the company through growth initiatives and implementation of the company strategy.
The MasterCard customer demands more than simple promotions, pricing and “cocktail banking”; it needs quantitative impact on its business. MasterCard seeks to add value in this respect, by truly understanding the customer business objectives and efficiencies. As such, the relationship is no longer just qualitative and making a contribution to the marketing budget.
Qualifications & Experience
University degree. Advanced degree preferred.
Strong experience in a marketing or business development role in card or retail banking environment.
Experience within the IT, Retail or Advertising industries may be relevant if the individual has managed Bank relationships.
Knowledge of Bank payment systems would be an advantage.
Global / International experience beyond the home market.
Leadership & Management
Opportunity identification and development
Proven strategic, leadership and negotiation skills
A conceptual thinker with the vision to see issues strategically
Finance and planningQuantitative skill
Country level plan
Per customer planning
Solution drivenSuperior market and industry knowledge with a proven track record for developing internal and external relationships
Strong team player, decisive and results driven, with high energy levels and initiative
Innovative business solutions / technology
Harness and align resources
Leverage enabling partnerships
Results OrientationImplementation / execution
Performance measurement (both quantitative and qualitative)
“Stay the course”
Takes responsibility and accountability
Operates independently and with autonomy
People ManagementRecognised leadership
Mentor, Motivator and Coach
“Rally the troops”
Gravitas, must be the ambassador for the MasterCard brand
Accountable vs responsible
Assertive and adaptable
Excellent written and verbal communication skills combined with the maturity and cultural sensitivity to achieve credibility at all levels (internally/externally), including the ability to influence senior bankers
Commitment, passion and energy
Change agent and calculated risk taker
- Accountability for the business objectives, as assigned by the business group to whom the leader reports.
- Define the markets’ country strategic direction, together with regional leadership; contributing to the overall growth and success of the company through growth initiatives and implementation of the company strategy.
- Strategic input into the development of new deals (for both existing as well as potential new customers). This includes input into the structure of the deal, as well as reviewing the strategic merits, effectiveness, chance of customer success and financial benefit to MasterCard, in association with planning and the respective business development team.
- Forge strong interpersonal influence and alliances at all levels both within and outside the organization, especially with senior bank/customer management.
- Manage all customer facing teams and staff, fostering a strong, dynamic and performance-oriented culture that also executes against a formal “Value Driver Selling” process.
- Execute innovative strategic business building programs for new and existing MasterCard customers.
- Support the running of the Nairobi, Kenya office, providing leadership as well as day-to-day support on all high priority projects and initiatives.
- Identify and deliver on opportunities for revenue growth.
- Financial objectives: responsible for the profit and loss of the East African business; accountable for financial compliance and maintenance of acceptable audit standards.
- MasterCard representative with customers, business partners, retailers, regulatory authorities and external relations.
- Customer Relationship Management for all accounts operating in the market; provide business direction to the national accounts which reports directly and provide market guidance to regional accounts and global accounts operating in the country.
- Provide leadership for the tactical and strategic approach to market (marketing campaigns, channel development, public relations, media and press, company brand and image) for consistency in engagement, distribution and fulfillment locally.
- Act as the prime representative to local authorities and industry boards in line with the corporate, regulatory and public affairs strategy.
- The regulatory environment is challenging and effective relationships with regulators must be established and maintained. A balanced approach is necessary to effectively manage relationships with all value chain participants and the CM must remain independent.
- Maintain a good understanding of regulatory issues and relationships with the central banks and other key regulatory stakeholders.
- Monitor the general economic, competitive forces and payments environment, anticipating consequences and trends, in order to create competitive breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Accountable for resources optimization (local operations) and for the health and safety regulations and matters such as legal reporting requirements, working with appropriate support functions.
- Responsible for the workplace environment and related employee satisfaction.
- Responsible for communications locally in line with corporate communications strategy and content.
- Employee Relations/Management: mentor new & existing employees in terms of understanding key profitability drivers, for both the financial institution as well as MasterCard.
- Elevate the MasterCard relationship with customers, from divisional managers and directors, to Bank executives,
- CEO and Divisional COOs. Guiding and assisting others to achieve more of a trusted advisor relationship is essential.
- The business is entering a high growth phase and the ability to develop and lead people in the business is thus important.
- Serve as an “advisor” for business leaders and remote management for business groups and functions operating in the country to ensure consistency of business objectives and operations.
- Monitor overall employee performance against objectives and pursue corrective measures with the appropriate management, as required.
- Ensure appropriate deployment of company policies, procedures and processes in the local country office. Exercise sound financial management; implement and monitor internal controls in the country operations.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
Mastercard is a leading global payments & technology company that connects consumers, businesses, merchants, issuers & governments around the world.