Consultant Obstetrician Gynaecologist
Reports To: Doctor In-Charge
Department: Clinical Operations
Business Purpose / Objective: The job holder will be expected to provide quality Obstetrics and Gynaecology services to both outpatients and inpatients; and assist in ensuring smooth operations in the clinical department and contribute positively to business strategy.
About Jacaranda Maternity: Jacaranda Maternity is redesigning the future of healthcare in East Africa. Our hospital in Nairobi is changing the way maternal healthcare is provided by developing better ways to provide high-quality, dignified, patient-centred care at affordable prices.
We have won global and local recognition, including from the Centre for Health Market Innovations, the Gates Foundation, Savings Lives at Birth, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our facilities have been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
Our values play a large role in helping shape the quality of care we provide:
- Uncompromising Quality – we aim to set a gold standard for quality of care and measure ourselves constantly against our goals.
- Teamwork and Openness – leverage strength in unity and diversity to create an environment where we work as a team and have open, direct and transparent conversations.
- Initiative – we do what we must do to get the results we need while maintaining quality of care and dignity for our clients
- Continuous Improvement – we do, we fail, we repeat. Our actions are guided by evidence, and as we forge a new path, we know that there is always a better way to provide exceptional service
- Sustainability – we do what we can so that we grow sustainably and provide more impact to more communities
- We have big ambitions and we are looking for people who will adhere to these values and have the highest work ethics.
Will you join us and help transform maternal and newborn healthcare in East Africa?
What You Will Do
- Monitoring and providing appropriate medical and surgical care to patients;
- Managing of clients for reproductive health both in the inpatient and outpatient;
- Admitting patients requiring special care followed by investigations and treatment;
- Examining and talking to patients to diagnose their medical conditions;
- Carrying out specific procedures, e.g. performing operations and specialist investigations;
- Making notes and preparing paperwork, both as a legal record of treatment and for the benefit of other healthcare professionals;
- Medical care will conform to best practice and meet contract target and service specifications;
- The referring doctor will be kept informed of inpatient and outpatient progress.
- A preliminary discharge summary will be issued to each patient prior to them leaving hospital, in accordance with service specifications;
- Coordinate and discuss planned care with the patient and other team professionals as appropriate;
- Coordinating and managing emergency patients in the inpatient and outpatient and ensuring client referral is effective;
- Take an active role in health promotion and disease prevention;
- Maintain effective interpersonal relationships with all staff and patients and ensure clients have a good customer experience at Jacaranda Maternity;
- Ensure that patients are kept fully informed of and understand all procedures and treatments to be undertaken.
- Informed Consent will be obtained from patients in accordance with Jacaranda policy;
- Provide advice to patients regarding healthy lifestyles and specific measures that may help the patient avoid a recurrence of ill health;
- Maintain patient rights, and be aware of cultural differences when dealing with patients.
- Should you receive or become aware of complaints relating to the standard of care and/or the treatment of patients, or professional attitudes toward staff, these shall be referred to the Chief Executive Officer and discussed with the Senior Management Team;
- Liaise with other medical and non-medical staff in the hospital to ensure quality treatment;
- A maximum of 20 min response time for emergencies on scheduled shifts.
- Develop, implement and maintain a Quality Assurance Programme for the Medical Service. Assistance may be available from a Quality Improvement Lead;
- This programme and the Audit associated with it may need to be coordinated with other programs of other Health and Hospital Services;
- The quality assurance system must incorporate review mechanisms of patient care; allow regular review of patient deaths and of critical incidents that occur.
- Review will be based on recognized standards of practice for medical services;
Develop standards, protocols and procedures;
- Ensure that comprehensive hospital medical records for all in and outpatients are accurately maintained;
- Selected medical records, patient case notes, and discharge letters will be evaluated at peer review;
- Each referring doctor will receive documentation of the progress and treatment of the patient;
- Liaise on behalf of any patient or the organization with outside agencies, (e.g. Insurance companies etc.) where this is warranted;
- Provide educational and clinical experience for clinical staff;
- Instruct, guide and supervise the work of Clinical Officers (both General and Specialized), Registrars, Medical
- Officers, Sonographers and Pharmacists.
Business and People Management
- Attend standing management meetings and represent the company externally as required;
- Contribute to overall business strategy development and implementation;
- Schedule and maintain Doctors schedules;
- Provide mentorship and manage performance of assigned staff;
- Will be required to report on-call (off shifts, weekends and holidays) as scheduled;
- Endeavour to suggest new initiatives to aid the efficient provision of Medical Services.
- Ensure the efficient use of resources in medical servicesBusiness Plan
- Performance Target
- Contract volume
- Length of stay
- New patient follow up and
- Efficient use of diagnostic and pharmacy resources.
- As a major user of finite and limited resources will have a responsibility together with colleagues and other health professionals to use these efficiently and effectively in the day to day management of the Medical Service;
- Must endeavor to provide medical services within budget, you will consult with the Chief Executive Officer and the
- Senior Management team regularly, as to the use of medical, nursing and/or hospital resources;
- Provide reports and contribute to the planning, budgeting and development of the medical service.
Personal Education and Research
- Continue to keep abreast with trends, developments and the appropriate utilization of technology in the field of medical care on a regular and ongoing basis;
- Participate in available educational sessions on topics such as clinical budgeting, medical audit, performance appraisal and quality control;
- Will participate in journal review with clinical staff;
- Assures clinical practice is current by availing themselves of opportunities to attend relevant educational programme and report back to colleagues on any programme attended;
- Study medical literature and other resource material on a regular basis;
- Record evidence of their own educational and developmental initiatives. This will form an integral part of the annual performance review;
- Attendance at local post-graduate meetings/Continuous Medical education programmes as expected.
- MMed in Obstetrics and Gynaecology from a recognized institution.
- Specialist Recognition by the Kenya Medical Practitioners’ and Dentists’ Board.
- Registered, licenced and retained by the Kenya Medical Practitioners Board.
- At least 5 years’ post graduate working experience in a busy maternity facility.
- Knowledge and Skills
- Should have the desire and ability to enhance the scope of maternal health services in order to meet and exceed the expectation of the customer.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Ability to positively influence and nurture teamwork.
- High level of customer-satisfaction orientation.
- Expert diagnostic skills.
- Trustworthy and compassionate character.
- Commitment to providing high quality care and excellence.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to use initiative to solve problems is a key competence.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Jacaranda Maternity
Jacaranda Health is a social enterprise and operates as a 501(c)3 in the US. Our mission is to transform maternal health care in East Africa and make pregnancy and childbirth safer for women and newborns. If you are interested in donating or partnering with Jacaranda Health, please visit our Donate page. Jacaranda’s staff is made up of professionals from diverse backgrounds in business and healthcare, supported by a network of advisors around the globe.