Senior HR Advisor
The role of the Senior Human Resources Advisor (SHRA) is to provide coordinated Human Resources and Organizational Development leadership, technical support, and strategic direction for the HR function across the Africa Alliance.
The SHRA will have responsibility for ensuring that Ipas’s standards and good practice in terms of HR policies, procedures and practices are adhered to whilst reflecting local considerations such as employment law and culture.
The SHRA works with the senior team to develop, review, and change organizational and office policies as needed to work towards improving the organizational climate and in compliance with local laws, rules, and regulations and within Ipas minimum standard.
Summary Of Responsibilities
- Works closely with country directors to lead and provide technical expertise and guidance in Human Resources.
- Responsible for supporting all of Africa Alliance ’s country programs in meeting recruitment needs and supporting induction of selected individuals.
- Prepares annual staff and consultant contracts, tracking and managing renewals or terminations as may be necessary.
- Managing the HR and contractual aspects of consultants hired to provide services for the Africa Alliance program.
- Supports the development of regional and country program-specific employee guidelines and handbooks.
- Supports the development and updating benefits packages and salary benchmarking across the region, based on local markets and international NGO norms.
- Ensures all Africa Alliance region country programs comply with Ipas’s minimum Human Resources standards and adhere to local labor laws.
- Collaborates with the Africa HR Manager to share lessons/tools and establish synergies of approaches across the broader Africa region.
- Supports local HR policies development, dissemination, and interpretation.
- Supports the regional and country programs with performance management process guidance.
- Conduct employee satisfaction surveys, reports back on their outcomes, and works with the Africa Alliance and
- Country Directors and/or Leads in improving organizational climate.
- Coordinates with Head Office Global HR on human resources programs, trainings, and policies
- Collaborates with Finance Managers about monitoring standard operating procedures compliances and budget utilization.
- Works with Program Managers on HR updates, adherence to office policies, and understanding office requirements.
- Collaborates with country program staff about office requirements, including staff on-boarding where applicable.
- Leads the assessments and monitoring of safety and security situations in Africa Alliance and supports local Security Focal Points to assess physical, procedural and travel security throughout the country program and design risk mitigation strategies through consultations with selected INGOs; security forums, UN agencies; donors; national security and other relevant actors.
- Supports in-country security management structure development, identifying improvements, training requirements and enhance security governance.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to Ipas mission, vision, and values.
- A deep commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights, especially abortion and contraception access
- Proven ability to lead and motivate teams and create a positive work environment, including through supportive supervision, strong communication, nonhierarchical leadership approaches, and modeling the Ipas core values.
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships with diverse internal teams and external partners.
Functional skills Preferred Qualifications Working environment:
- Strategic thinking – able to identify HR trends/forecasts and able to act
- Problem solving/solutions focused
- Change management experience in a fast-paced environment
- Personal adaptability/flexibility
- Strong planning and organizing / ability to juggle a heavy workload and meet tight deadlines
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- High level of integrity.
- Computer literate and familiar with implementing and using a global HRIS
- Skilled in conflict resolution and negotiation skillsEducation
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences, or related field Experience
- 8 years’ experience in human resources, especially in a global/multi-country context
- Experience in security and personal safety management
- Experience with coaching and mentoring staff and performance management related to human resource processes.
- Working knowledge of an array of African country labor laws and recruitment strategies in the assigned sub region
- Experience working in a global matrix organization.
- Professional qualification in Human Resource Management
- Certifications related to International Human Resource
- Previous management experience
- Ability to travel up to 30% domestically (with occasional regional or global trips if applicable)
Ipas is strongly committed to providing a work environment that is free from all forms of harassment, discrimination, and inequity. We recruit, employ, train, promote, and compensate our personnel without regard to race, age, sex, religion, national origin, color, creed, ancestry, citizenship, caste, ethnicity, regional identity, tribal identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, or any other personal characteristic protected by law or outlined by Ipas policy. Ipas acknowledges that these personal characteristics may differ in different contexts.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Ipas Africa
Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the Ipas Africa Alliance for Women’s Reproductive Health and Rights works to reduce maternal deaths from unsafe abortion; to expand the availability of high-quality comprehensive abortion care; and to advocate for policies that advance women’s reproductive health and rights across the continent.