Area HR Coordinator – Kenya
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldHuman Resources / HR
Duty station: Nairobi (Approximately 50% in field visits)
Starting date: 1/02/2021
Contract duration: 12 months (4 months as probation contract)
Reporting to: HR Director
Supervision of: HR Coordinators and/or HR Managers in the region (functional supervision)
Dependents: Accompanied Duty Station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian humanitarian organization in the frontline that works all over the world, bringing assistance to people in danger victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS, with its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively meet the needs of people in crisis, with a particular attention to the vulnerable groups, as women and children. It provides first aid, food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods. It ensures that basic needs, as education, clean water and health, are met.
Its work primarily aims at giving an immediate response in humanitarian crises by bringing emergency relief to the victims of armed conflict, drought, famine, and other natural disasters. Furthermore, its core mission focus on providing primary emergency relief and simultaneously begin to work to promote a return to normal living conditions, the resumption of dialogue and the strengthening of peace, reconstruction and growth.
General purpose of the position
The Area HR Coordinator assumes the overall responsibility of HR management in the region (composed of South Sudan, Central Africa Republic, Kenya, Democratic Republic of Congo, Yemen and Libya), promoting a work environment that is respectful of humanitarian principles, inclusivity, accountability, and local culture. He/she is responsible for the strategic development of the Human Resources in the region.
He/she provides strategic analysis and directions to INTERSOS regional management in order to ensure that in each mission of the area are guaranteed standard structure and policies in line with INTERSOS country strategy.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure compliance and adherence to HR INTERSOS policies and procedures, through guidance and support to
- HR referents and Line Managers at country level
- Ensure a punctual, professional and sensitive management of expatriates from deployment to final debriefing
- Under the supervision of HR Director implement the HR strategy, system and tools in the region in full synergy with other Area HR Coordinators
- Develop and implement regional HR procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools
- Ensure that communication at regional level is regular in order to facilitate a participative inter-departmental decision-making process
- Provide overall technical supervision and capacity building to HR Coordinators or HR Managers in the region on
- HR policies, strategies and management
- Guarantee that duty of Care of National Staff in the region is compliant with Labor Law and INGO practices and INTERSOS strategies
- Provide HR support and staff care in stressful situations or incidents
- Provide regularly analysis of data and statistics
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the peculiarities of the job location, context, phase of operations and sector of intervention
- Advise members of the regional management and Country management team on workforce planning and organisational development, including scaling of the organisational structures at regional and country level.
- Ensure HR synergies across Regions e.g. recruitments, job rotations, gap fillings, temporary mobility, secondments and HR procedures in collaboration with Regional Management, Personnel Development Coordinator and Recruitment Unit
- Supervise technically HR departments at Country level with the objective to promote gender balance, development, nationalization, and expatriation of talented National Staff
- Empower Line Managers on people-management and conflict-management
- Share best practices on operative HR matters with within HR d 8epartment, through regular meetings
- Contribute to development of HR strategy at global level and take part in new HR initiatives or thematic issues, as established by HR Director
- Liaise with Personnel Development Coordinator to ensure the involvement of eligible expatriates and National
- Staff in the development program
- Required profile and experience
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science/International Relations, Economics, Psychology or similar subjects.
- Master in HR Management is considered an asset.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience within the humanitarian field (at least 2 in HR positions in the field)
- Previous work experience in complex and volatile contexts
- Previous experience in the region is an asset
- Professional knowledge in HR
- Experience with start-up of HR department. Previous experience of closing a mission is an asset
- Fluent knowledge of English and French, both written and verbal (knowledge of Italian is an asset)
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Behavioural flexibility
- Communication skills
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Strategic vision
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-00-1693 – Area HR Coordinator”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to assist victims of natural disaster and armed conflict.