Training and Capacity Advisor, Humanitarian Action (Nairobi)
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Nairobi, IHUB, Kenya
Humanitarian crises are becoming longer and more complex, stretching humanitarian actors’ abilities to provide assistance and protection. The Humanitarian Action section of the Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit supports the IRC, country programs and emergency teams to reach people in need, understand complex crises and promote humanitarian principles. This role will lead development and delivery of the IRC’s guidance and training for supporting humanitarian action, including humanitarian access, humanitarian negotiation, engaging armed actors and remote management. It will work closely with the section’s access, ethics and analysis teams as well as colleagues in EHAU, country programs, Protection and Rule of Law and Safety and Security to strengthen and support the capacity of IRC and partners to provide humanitarian services.
- Lead the development of the IRC’s guidance and tools for supporting humanitarian action including humanitarian access, negotiation, engaging armed actors and remote management.
- Ensure collaborative roll out of guidance through systematic dissemination and socialization.
- Support the development of staff competency to apply guidance and tools through training and coaching/mentoring to identified practitioners across the IRC and partners.
- Lead IRC’s partnerships with professional development centers in relevant subject areas to bring training and skills-building to scale.
- Provide technical support and advice as requested to country programs, emergency teams and partners.
- Ensure the capture of learning and knowledge from operations and training to contribute to and improve guidance and performance over time.
- Maintain currency with methods, approaches and professional developments in humanitarian action in complex environments.
- Significant practical experience in humanitarian access, humanitarian negotiation, civil-military coordination or related competencies.
- Experience with collaborative/inclusive development of tools, guidance and learning materials for/with practitioners.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Advanced skills in humanitarian negotiation, humanitarian-military relations and/or engagement with armed groups
- Excellent ability to produce user-centered, effective, and responsive guidance, tools and materials
- Proficiency in delivering training and coaching support to individuals, teams and/or partners
- Expertise in applying humanitarian principles in practice
- Knowledge of legal and normative frameworks for humanitarian action
- Strong communication, diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Ability to summarize sophisticated topics and information inclusively, clearly and succinctly.
- Language Skills: Proficiency in English required. Proficiency in additional relevant language, such as French, Arabic or Spanish preferred.
Working Environment: This role is based in Nairobi. Up to 40% international travel may be required, including to environments affected by armed conflict.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
The Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit strives to build a diverse and inclusive team at all levels who as individuals, and as a group, embody our culture statement creating a working environment characterized by critical reflection, power sharing, debate, and objectivity for us to achieve our aspirations as a unit and deliver the best possible services to our clients.
Narrowing the Gender Gap: The International Rescue Committee is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including flexible hours (when possible), maternity leave, transportation support, and gender-sensitive security protocols.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization.