Head of Program Management
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Project Management
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit the Head of Program Management to oversee implementation and continued development of program and project processes and capabilities throughout the Institute. This position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer of ILRI and will support Senior Management through the development of appropriate strategies and operational plans to ensure effective adherence and improvement to ILRI’s Program Management Framework.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The incumbent will directly support program and project managers to ensure the successful implementation of ILRI Research portfolio. This position combines skills and experience in project and financial management, donor compliance and monitoring for impact to ensure effective project management is applied to all ILRI projects worldwide at all stages of the project lifecycle. The position will utlize and improve on the existing Program Management Framework as the methodology and structure for managing research programs and projects at ILRI and lead institute-wide business process improvements and change management initiatives to enhance program and project management processes. The position will collaborate with Program Leaders, Regional/Country Representatives, and Project Managers to deliver successful, on-time and on-budget, completion of agreed-upon project deliverables for donors and beneficiaries but does not directly manage projects.
- Develop and adapt Program Management Framework’s (PMF) structures, processes, materials and tools to promote project management best practices; build the capacity of programmatic staff and community of practice skills
- Liaise with Senior Management on successes, issues and lessons learned from implementation
- Build a community of practice by advocating within ILRI and other CGIAR centres to continuously improve capabilities, tools and professional capacity for program and project management
- Support the Chief Operating Officer, Deputy Director General, Program Leaders and Regional Representatives in the development of Strategies and Operational Plans
- Track project annual budgets and forecasts and propose steps for programmatic course corrections as appropriate
- Develop and strengthen professional working relationships with donors and project partners
- Establish tools and systems to track project donor reports and deliverables
- Contribute to ILRI’s resource mobilisation process in conjunction with Program Leaders, Program Managers,
- Country Managers, Project Managers and Proposal Development Teams
- Coordinate documentation and analysis of evidence, lessons and insights such as project success stories, website postings, past performance reports, flyers and corporate capability statements
- Master’s degree in Project Management, International Development, MBA, Political Science, Business or related studies with 12 years of work experience in an international organisation/ NGOs and having been exposed to various cultures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, International Development, MBA, Political Science, Business or related studies with atleast 15 years of work experience in an international organisation/ NGOs and having been exposed to various cultures.
- Program Management Certification is required
- Strong Project Management Experience
- Proven experience implementing and monitoring strategies and establishing long term partnerships
- Ability to research information and analyse data to arrive at valid conclusions, make recommendations effectively, and execute plans of action within a team dynamic
- Detailed knowledge of current best practice in project management
- Prior experience working in a multi-donor organisation specifically with USAID, and the Bill and Melinda Gates
- Foundation will be an added advantage
- Experience living internationally
- Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
- The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre - part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future.