Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 years
Job Field ICT / Computer
Your Role and Responsibilities
Over the past 100 years, IBMers all over the globe have helped make the world work better and smarter. In this new era of Cognitive Business, IBM is helping to reshape industries by bringing together our expertise in Cloud, Analytics, Security, Mobile, and the Internet of Things: Changing how we create, collaborate, analyze and engage. From transforming healthcare to improving the retail shopping experience – it’s what IBMers do. In Africa, we’ve been changing the way the continent does business for more than 50 years, and as our company continues to grow, we’re looking for talented professionals to join us in this new era.
Would you like to play a key role in building and experimenting cognitive software systems that enable humans and machines to perform better than either humans or machines? IBM Research Africa is looking for experienced software professionals with strong interest in cognitive computing and experience in implementing complex algorithms arising in instrumentation for data generation and data intensive applications spanning multiple disciplines. You are expected to work in close collaboration with other researchers and engineers and deliver production level-code to support the commercialization of the resulting assets.
- Conduct research in software engineers applied to cognitive computing, include performing foundational research in a wide range of topics such as, knowledge extraction, representation and retrieval from structured and unstructured data
- Develop open source tools and use cases in addressing the “big” challenges in Africa (e.g., Healthcare, Next Generation Public Sector and Enterprise, etc.)
- Develop novel and scalable approaches and algorithms for data ranging from small to big data
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Degree (PhD, MSc, or BSc.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Applied Mathematics or Equivalent
- Strong background in software engineering practices including agile techniques
- Experience in tools and methodology to improve software life cycle for cognitive applications
- Strong publication record in top-tier conferences and journals
- Proven communication skills and leadership experience are essential
Preferred Technical And Professional Expertise
- 5 or more years of commercial software development experience
- Expert skill level in software engineering practices including agile techniques
- Expert skill level in system building/debugging/testing
- Expert skill level in building Cloud Applications using APIs and micro-services
- Prior experience in Africa or developing countries is a plus
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world’s most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
International Business Machines Corporation is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Armonk, New York, United States, with operations in over 170 countries. Wikipedia