Internship: Research Scientist, Future of health
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldInternships / Volunteering
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Africa is poised to become a leading source of innovation in a variety of sectors with an expected growth rate of 7% annually over the next 20 years. IBM recognizes the potential impact of research and smarter systems in helping to build Africa’s future, hence the African research lab creates technology applications in a range of industries at the core of Africa’s growth. IBM believes that increasing access to healthcare and improving the quality of healthcare is critical to the continent of Africa. We develop and leverage high-end AI technologies to develop original and novel solutions to healthcare challenges.
- IBM Research interns are evaluated on their technical contributions, ability to collaborate across labs, and leadership. These metrics, in the context of a commercial research lab in an emerging market, create a unique combination of roles and responsibilities for a research intern working in the healthcare domain.
- Expertise and experience in programming in one or more of these languages: Python, Java, C, C++, Go, Julia
- Advanced skill level in solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches
- Advanced skill level in creating and applying a broad range of machine learning techniques in healthcare
- Experience with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks including but not limited to Theano, Tensorflow, Caffe, PyTorch
- Experience communicating your research in technical communities, such as publications in NIPS, CVPR, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, AAAI, KDD, AMIA, JAMIA, JAMA or similar
- Develop technologies, analytics and algorithms in healthcare projects .
- Identify AI/ML and data-driven methods when more traditional approaches are infeasible.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- PhD in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics applied to Healthcare
- Experience analyzing large scale data from a variety of sources
- Design, validation, and characterization of algorithms and/or systems
- Contributing to open source projects
- Preferred Technical And Professional Expertise
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world’s most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
International Business Machines Corporation is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Armonk, New York, United States, with operations in over 170 countries.