Job TypeFull Time
QualificationBA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
Job FieldMedical / Healthcare
HIAS seeks to recruit a Counselling Psychologist who will spearhead the provision of counseling and other psychotherapeutic interventions to vulnerable and at risk refugee experiencing emotional and psychological distress. These includes refugees with mental health challenges, which impairs their normal functioning.
- Provide Therapeutic ServicesProvide individual and group counseling services and other short term therapeutic services to referred to the field office
- Conduct psychosocial counselling to who are survivors of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and other refugee experiencing other forms of trauma under the protection project observing highest levels of confidentiality and professional ethics and etiquette
- Ensure appropriate psychosocial assessment and diagnosis of all the therapeutic cases are in line with the World Health Organization (WHO) Mental Health Atlas
- Review all social and psychological assessments reports generated for the protection program
- Assist protection officers in organizing and mobilizing for committee meetings, dialogues and other activities to address protection issues.
- Provide training, mentorship, and other technical support to social workers directly involved in implementation of the protection project
- Collect data on Protection issues including SGBV and monitor trends and emerging issues and present the same to the Protection Officer on weekly and monthly basis at the same time ensuring follow up on any recommendation for action.
- Follow up, monitor all referral cases, and ensure timely turnaround of assessment reports and other interventions
ReportingPreparation of timely, quality and comprehensive field reports, therapeutic assessments to inform program planning and decision-making.
- Prepare and maintain a tracker for all therapies conducted at the field level.
- Coordination, Partnership and NetworkingWork and communicate with teachers, social workers and other professionals involved in the ’s life on the progress of the
- Work with parents/caregivers through offering family counseling, teaching them techniques they can practice at home (such as play therapy) and recommending a support group or counselling therapy to parents/family members.
- Strengthen and maintain networks with community leaders, groups and service providers to ensure that refugee receive support from the community
- A Minimum of Bachelors in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology, Clinical Psychology is an added advantage.
- Ideal candidate should have worked as Counsellor for at least 3 years
- Must have at least 3 years’ experience in providing counseling services to trauma survivors in individual and group settings.
- Experience working with refugee will be an added advantage
- The candidate should have keen awareness and good knowledge of psychosocial issues and the complexities of working on these issues with a refugee population
Skills and Competencies Required
- Computer literacy is a must with strong knowledge of Access, Excel and Word;
- Strong analytical and report writing skills and proven ability to conduct psychological assessments;
- Good team player with excellent cross-cultural interpersonal skills; proactive and able to work under minimal supervision while exercising diplomacy, flexibility and assertiveness;
- Ability to confront and discuss sensitive issues with respect and able to uphold high standards of confidentiality
- Ability to work in a demanding and high pressured environment
- Knowledge of accountability to affected populations is an added advantage
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Please send a cover letter and resume the Vacancy Number HRTK/CP/10/2020 on the subject line.
Applications not bearing this subject label will not be considered.
Closing Date: 23rd October 2020
Important: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HRTK is an equal opportunity employer, does not charge candidates for recruitment and dissociates itself from any entity defrauding candidates
About HIAS Refugee Trust of Kenya
HIAS is the global Jewish nonprofit organization that protects refugees-including women and children, and ethnic, religious, and sexual minorities-whose lives are in danger for being who they are.