Senior Specialist – Regional MEAL (2 year)
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) in Africa! Habitat has recently centered its operations for Africa in Nairobi as part of its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025. As part of our rapidly growing regional team, you will be a critical member in helping Habitat realize that vision.
The Africa hub manages Habitat’s operations across the region, including Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Malawi. Nairobi provides access to some of the largest institutions and organizations shaping Africa today. The Africa team plays a pivotal role in building Habitat’s brand in the market and helping elevate housing as a critical part of the solution to the complex challenges facing this region.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
About The Role
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Specialist – Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL). We are seeking a professional with a high degree of designing and implementing mechanisms that ensure accountability for a community. Reporting to the Director of Operations for the Africa Hub, and cross functionally to the Manager – Global MEAL, this role adapts and implements MEAL guidelines and tools throughout the region, while providing support with organizational MEAL and related standards. The purpose of the position is to improve program and project efficiency and effectiveness, decision making and learning during the project life cycle through MEAL. In carrying out this work, this position interacts with other regional/national/headquarters staff, partner organizations and contracted subject matter experts.
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter and will be proactive as a creative thinker to solve issues that arise. This individual must be attracted to learning and must be willing to coach and train other specialists and our National offices (NO) on MEAL guidelines.
JOB LOCATION & TRAVEL: Nairobi, Kenya. Travel up to 30% within Africa.
Planning and Coordination
- Adapt and continue to develop MEAL methodology, approaches and tools, and provide support and guidance to regional and national staff to ensure their proper use.
- In collaboration with program/project teams supports the development of regional, national and project capacity to ensure that MEAL standards and good practices are properly integrated in all phases of the project life cycle.
- Provides support to national organizations and projects to ensure that they meet HFHI MEAL standards and good MEAL practices.
Technical Support for MEAL Policy, Standards, Procedures and Tool Implementation
- Participate in program/project design and proposal writing in the areas of theory of change, log frame design, MEAL plan and budget development.
- Advise and support program/project teams on quality data gathering and analysis to facilitate informed program and project design.
- Provide research, planning and evaluation guidance and tools for the implementation of new / pilot housing programs and assist national organizations in research and analysis for the development of new programs as requested.
- Support program/project teams to set up accountability mechanisms to beneficiaries and community members.
- Review the responsive use of accountability mechanisms, data and responses.
- Support and follow up on research, evaluations and learning events to document lessons learned and best practices from interventions. Prepare or review terms of reference for external evaluators and coordinate collaboration with them.
Knowledge Management, Reporting and Learning
- Support national organizations in the use of HFHI metrics tools and data reporting, review project data collection and reporting for data quality and make recommendations for improvement.
- Oversee the implementation of data management tools for process and quality improvement.
- Conduct analysis of project and program results to support evidence-based program decision making and program quality improvement, using appropriate software as necessary.
- Ensure that analysis of evaluation findings and recommendations feedback into improved program quality, evidenced in subsequent program designs.
- Coordinate capacity assessments and review of MEAL systems to identify process, systems and capacity gaps.
- Support national organizations in the development of MEAL process, system and capacity building plan.
- In line with global MEAL plan, support capacity development of staff.
- Develop materials and facilitate learning events that build capacity through MEAL and project management.
- Participate in relevant communities of practice and collaborate with counterparts within HFHI network as required.
- Establish an external network of organizations and individual experts for joint projects and contractual work.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, especially in the social sciences, social work, or program evaluation areas.
- Specialization and/or professional certification in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- 5+ years of experience in a similar position, preferably with a development organization.
- Adult training and facilitation skills.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation, accountability, learning, research and evaluation methodologies, standards and practices (preferably in relation to human / social development or housing and human settlement).
- Understanding of contemporary trends and innovations in MEAL.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis and statistics.
- High degree of computer literacy, proficient user of MS office.
- Familiarity with statistical packages, qualitative data analysis software and IT applications to support MEAL and knowledge management.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a multi-cultural team.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and proactively ask questions and come up with solutions.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to think creatively about MEAL solutions.
- Good organizational skills including accuracy, consistency, and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30%, mostly within Africa.
- Active support of HFHI Values:Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Closing date for internal applications is 19 May 2021. In your cover letter, please outline your accountability experience in MEAL.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International, generally referred to as Habitat for Humanity or simply Habitat, is an international, non-governmental, and nonprofit organization, which was founded in 1976.