Manager – Program Effectiveness
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) in Africa! Habitat has recently centered its operations for Africa in Nairobi as part of its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025. As part of our rapidly growing regional team, you will be a critical member in helping Habitat realize that vision.
The Africa hub manages Habitat’s operations across the region, including Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Malawi. Nairobi provides access to some of the largest institutions and organizations shaping eastern Africa today. The Africa team plays a pivotal role in building Habitat’s brand in the market and helping elevate housing as a critical part of the solution to the complex challenges facing this region.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
About The Role
This is anticipated to be a two-year role. The Manager of Program Effectiveness reports directly to the Sr. Director, Africa Hub and cross-functionally to the Sr. Director, International Operations. The manager will contribute to the overall strategic direction for Africa. As a member of the regional leadership team the manager will contribute to the installation of the regional hub ensuring that the hub is well-positioned to deliver quality programming that is accountable to the communities that we serve. The manager will also contribute to business development efforts by supporting the development of proposals. A key component of this proposal development support is to facilitate program design processes in accordance with Habitat programmatic guidance.
The Manager of Program Effectiveness will also help ensure quality and accountability to the communities that we serve in our programming by championing the development of MEAL capacity in the hub and ensuring MEAL is built into programs. The Manager of Program Effectiveness will supervise the Sr. MEAL Specialist and support that person as they implement the MEAL strategy for the region. The Manager of Program Effectiveness and Sr. MEAL Specialist will work collaboratively to build out MEAL systems for the hub.
As part of our efforts to deliver quality programs the Manager of Program Effectiveness will also provide technical research support in the region. Habitat seeks to undertake programs that conduct meaningful analysis of the housing ecosystems we operate in, and this will require strong research. We also wish to ensure that our programs are driven by evidence and responsive to evidence and the Manger of Program Effectiveness will help generate, capture, and curate that evidence. Habitat intends to capture both the intended and unintended effects of our programs and research will be required for us to establish this.
JOB LOCATION & TRAVEL: Nairobi, Kenya. Travel up to 30% within Africa.
Regional Strategy & Hub Installation
- Support the development of programmatic strategy at regional and national levels within the Hub.
- Support data collection and analysis efforts to inform strategic framing and decision making.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts to review and refine the operational and programmatic strategy for the Hub.
Business Development & Proposal support
- Facilitate program design processes to ensure quality proposals are developed.
- Support program/project design and proposal writing including the development of theory of change, logframe design, MEAL plan and budget development.
- Support proposal review for overall quality of program design, adequate budgeting for MEAL and community accountability mechanisms, and supporting research for overall design.
MEAL Strategy & Technical Support
- Lead the development of a regional MEAL strategy to build capacity in the hub.
- Support the Sr. MEAL specialist in successfully delivering against the MEAL strategy.
- Ensure MEAL is adequately built into proposals.
- Ensure accountability to beneficiaries is built into program design and that robust mechanisms are in place on the ground.
- Be an active member of Habitat’s global MEAL Leadership Team, contributing 30% of time to global MEAL efforts coordinated by HFHI’s Global MEAL Manager.
Research Technical Support
- Conduct research to support robust analysis of the housing ecosystems we deliver programs in.
- Conduct research to ensure program designs are adequately informed by evidence and build processes to ensure programs are responsive to evidence.
- Conduct research or manage consultants that are conducting research that helps Habitat better understand and capture the effects of our programs on the communities that we serve.
- Together with the MEAL Sr. Specialist, conduct MEAL and program design trainings in line with global MEAL plan.
- Ensure training materials developed by MEAL Sr. Specialist are of high quality.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience supporting strategic planning processes.
- Experience supporting projects related to the implementation of Global Impact 2025 and awareness of the overall intent and strategy driving the development of the regional hub operating model.
- Experience with change management processes.
- Strong project management experience required.
- Demonstrated experience with business development and proposal writing.
- Solid understanding of monitoring, evaluation, accountability to affected populations.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of research and evaluation methodologies, standards and practices (preferably in relation to human / social development or housing and human settlement).
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative/quantitative data analysis.
- High degree of computer literacy, proficient user of MS office.
- Familiarity with statistical packages, qualitative data analysis software and IT applications to support MEAL and knowledge management.
- Adult training and facilitation skills required.
- Strong experience building buy in and collaborating across a federated network.
- Active support of HFHI Values & Commitments:
- Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves.
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular.
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission.Safeguarding – HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International, generally referred to as Habitat for Humanity or simply Habitat, is an international, non-governmental, and nonprofit organization, which was founded in 1976.