Director – Program Operations, East Africa Hub
Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldAdministration / Secretarial
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International, HFHI, in East Africa! Habitat has recently centered its operations for East Africa in Nairobi as part of its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025. As part of our rapidly growing regional team, you will be a critical member in helping Habitat realize that vision.
The East Africa hub manages Habitat’s operations across the region, including Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Malawi. Nairobi provides access to some of the largest institutions and organizations shaping eastern Africa today. The East Africa team plays a pivotal role in building Habitat’s brand in the market and helping elevate housing as a critical part of the solution to the complex challenges facing this region.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
About The Role
Habitat for Humanity International, HFHI, is seeking a Director of Program Operations to develop, lead and direct the programmatic operations in East Africa. This position is responsible for the growth and development of the existing programs in the region, consistent with organizational standards and strategic goals towards sustainably serving families. At the same time, this position contributes to the development and implementation of a regional expansion strategy.
JOB LOCATION AND TRAVEL: Nairobi, Kenya. Up to 40% travel both domestically and internationally.
- Develop, implement and monitor regional strategic and operational programmatic plans for the region.
- Facilitate development of strategic and operational plans for national organizations in East Africa region.
- Manage and coordinate development of Habitat’s national organizations, partnerships and affiliates.
- Identify and support potential partner organizations and negotiate strategic program alliances.
- Support global initiatives and processes as well as resource development department to fundraising opportunities including grant proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate program and product design with relevant specialists – leading towards scaled solutions for specific target groups (marginalized, vulnerable, etc.) and specific themes (water and sanitation, disaster risk reduction, etc.); as per the regional strategy.
- Develop and support strategic partnerships with regional institutions in the housing sectors.
- Recommend and implement programmatic management goals and objectives for the area.
- Support preparation, implementation and monitoring of annual programmatic budget, including grant and investment decisions.
- Participate in global program initiatives and coordinate on different themes.
- Liaise with all departments to ensure standards compliance, organizational development and volunteer engagement is aligned with program operations.
- Master’s degree in international development, social sciences, public/business administration, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 10 years’ overall related experience in international development contexts, including program development.
- Minimum of 7 years’ management experience at a similar level, including experience with planning and budgeting.
- Profound understanding of and working experience in multiple contexts within Africa, as well as understanding cultural/social/political environments.
- Experience partnering with and knowledge of donors, including multilateral, institutional and corporations.
- Knowledge and experience in project design and management.
- Understanding of key trends in international development.
- Strategic thinking, strategy setting, visioning capacity.
- Operational and financial management skills.
- Board development skills and capacity.
- Qualitative and quantitative analytic skills.
- Resource mobilization, training and capacity building, coaching/mentoring skills.
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in French an added advantage.
- Active support of HFHI values and commitments:
- Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
- Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
- Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
- Safeguarding – HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 22 January 2021.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International, generally referred to as Habitat for Humanity or simply Habitat, is an international, non-governmental, and nonprofit organization, which was founded in 1976.