Advocacy Manager, Digital Identity
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Media / Advertising / Branding
Department: Mobile for Development
Department detail: Digital Identity programme
Location: Nairobi or London
Position type: 12 month contract, with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Senior Director, Digital Identity programme
About the Team
Mobile for Development (M4D) is a dedicated global team within the GSMA, bringing together our mobile operator members, tech innovators, the development community and governments to prove the power of mobile in emerging markets. We identify opportunities and deliver innovations with socio-economic impact on over 30 million lives across 49 countries.
Digital Identity Programme
Proof of identity is a prerequisite to socio-economic development and essential to accessing basic services. Mobile technology is uniquely positioned to enable accessible and inclusive digital identity. The GSMA M4D Digital Identity programme is playing a key role in advocating and raising awareness of the opportunity of mobile-enabled digital identity and life-enhancing services. Our programme works with mobile operators, governments and the development community to address identity-related challenges by exploring opportunities and highlighting the value of mobile as an enabler of digital identification and associated services which provide social and commercial value in developing markets. We firmly believe that the ability to prove one’s identity in an increasingly digitally-connected world, will lead to greater social, political and financial inclusion.
What the Hiring Manager Says
We are excited to be seeking a passionate and driven professional to join the GSMA’s Digital Identity programme as an Advocacy Manager focusing on nurturing partnerships between MNOs, the Public sector and also with the start-up community, through our Innovation Fund. This position will offer the successful candidate a real opportunity to engage with Governments, mobile operators and innovators – with a view to facilitating partnerships that lead to the creation of socially impactful yet commercially sustainable identification services, with mobile at their core.
About The Role
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Taking ownership of specific Advocacy assignments and facilitating partnerships between public sector bodies and mobile operators or innovators in the digital identification space. The role will focus on exploring and promoting various roles that mobile operators could play in supporting digital identification for underserved populations and the consequent impact on improving their financial and digital inclusion;
- Travelling to a number of target countries, supporting the organisation and/or leading roundtables, workshops involving multiple stakeholders such as policymakers, development partners and mobile operators / other private sector entities
- Keeping abreast of relevant policy trends where (lack of) identification creates barriers to inclusion and presenting these to internal and external stakeholders – for example in the context of accessing mobile financial, health, education and other e-Governance services and providing analytical support as required
- Delivering, and contributing to the development of, Capacity Building courses aimed at policymakers on issues relating to the role of mobile in accelerating Digital Identity ecosystems.
- Supporting the GSMA’s Central Innovation Fund team during round(s) aimed at exploring Digital Identity solutions and subsequently working with grantees to ensure alignment with grant requirements and commitments.
- Liaising with other GSMA teams to ensure alignment of messages as well as with external stakeholders including
- Policymakers, Mobile Operators, regulatory specialists, humanitarian and development stakeholders, regional experts and consultants
- Contributing to, peer-reviewing and editing publications on a wide variety of relevant subjects ensuring GSMA messages and positions are reflected and promoted consistently;
- Writing briefing papers and blogs
- The successful candidate will work alongside a high-performing and multicultural team based in London and Africa and report to GSMA’s Senior Director for the Digital Identity Programme.
- Relevant advocacy experience, ideally with a mobile operator, industry association or private sector entity involved in developing or offering digital services
- Excellent communications skills and demonstrable ability to influence a range of stakeholders through reasoned and well-articulated arguments
- Passionate about the potential applications of technology (incl. mobile technology) in addressing identity-related barriers while achieving both social and commercial impact.
- Demonstrable appreciation of how government policy can impact private sector investment and the strategic dynamics among competing companies within the mobile industry
- Direct experience in working with multiple external stakeholders, including from the private and public sectors.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to write compelling and concise reports for a variety of audiences
- Willingness to work in results-oriented team environment and ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- An enthusiastic team player with an ability to work in a matrixed structure, to support cross functional collaboration across the GSMA
- Drive and proactivity – demonstrates a “can do” attitude, and eager to identify and suggest ways of improving existing processes
- Very conscientious and highly organised, shows excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage own time effectively
- Able to quickly grasp new concepts and ideas
- Willingness to travel internationally
What We Offer
- Working at the GSMA offers you unparalleled access to the mobile industry. We offer a chance to truly shape the direction of mobile, whatever your role. By joining the GSMA, you will be exposed to a fast-paced rapidly evolving environment, working on global solutions, genuinely fascinating and industry-changing projects and a stimulating and dynamic environment designed to enable you to flourish.
In addition to architect-designed offices and competitive compensation, our benefits include fantastic learning & development opportunities, generous holiday allowances, four additional days off for professional development and many others.
We offer a working environment that reflects our organisational values. We also hire in line with our values and recruit candidates who demonstrate a strong affinity with these 7 principles:
DREAM BIG – Demonstrate vision and insight to lead the industry forward
BE BOLD – Have the courage to take risks and make tough decisions
OWN IT – Take full accountability for your decisions and actions
WORK AS A TEAM – Collaborate to deliver impactful results
DO THE RIGHT THING – Conduct yourself with honesty and integrity at all times
SHOW RESPECT – Treat others as you would expect to be treated
LOVE WHAT YOU DO – Bring passion and pride to your work
To learn more about the GSMA, visit our careers site, our LinkedIn page and our Twitter page.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “”APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide, uniting nearly 800 operators with almost 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset and device makers, software companies, equipment providers and internet companies, as well as organisations in adjacent industry sectors. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as Mobile World Congress, Mobile World Congress Shanghai, Mobile World Congress Americas and the Mobile 360 Series conferences.