The team: We are 30+ business & ops specialists, software engineers, and emergency dispatchers based in Nairobi and operating throughout Kenya. We are a goal-driven and results-oriented team focused on continuous improvement of our technologies and dispatch operations. We value agility, grit, and innovation.
Who you are: Do you have an analytical mind and strong coding skills? We are looking for an Analytics Engineer who will help us turn data into insights and help us deliver our rapid emergency response system to more people around the world. Your responsibilities will include the design and infrastructure of what data we collect, how we collect and maintain quality datasets, where we store it and how we action it. You need to have a strong analytical skillset, an understanding of analytic workstreams and the ability to work with complex datasets. You will need to bring engineering best practices and rigor to build robust systems and processes.
What you’ll be doing: In this role, you will be an expert in all things Flare data. As such, your work can be categorised into:
- Informing strategy: Your ability to extract insights from structured and unstructured data will be critical in informing the business’ growth and expansion strategy. This will involve proactively identifying trends and opportunities for growth.
- Analysis and Reporting: You will maintain and improve existing datasets and reports, identify gaps and create new ones for various internal and external stakeholders including clients and investors. You will also fulfil ad-hoc data requests from the team.
- Data modelling: You will design and implement infrastructure to collect, store and analyse new datasets. You will also be tasked with maintaining and improving existing systems.
- Building integrations and automations: You will need the know-how to integrate existing tools or create new tools to make your work faster, more efficient and accurate
Basic requirements for the role:
- At least 3-4 years experience working in data.
- Advanced quantitative and qualitative problem solving skills. You will be tasked with a large variety of internal and external problems to solve. You will need to be able to digest large quantities of information quickly and work out a well-structured and methodical response.
- Strong attention to detail and know how to pick out trends.
- Strong programming skills in at least one language; Python or R preferred.
- Experience working with visualisation tools; Tableau preferred.
- Solid knowledge of DBMS especially relational i.e. SQL. Our major datasets are stored on Postgres.
- A working knowledge of statistics.
- Strong presentation and communication skills. You should be able to condense data insights into simple and easy to understand findings for internal and external reporting.
- Excellent team-player. Your work will involve interacting with members from all teams in the organization.
- Strong foundation of software development best practices
Things that make you stand-out:
- You have experience working in a data role at a high growth startup.
- You have experience working with AWS.
- You have experience building ML and statistical models.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Use the button below to submit your application. Please include the following:
Your CV. 1 page only, must be in PDF form. We will not consider those that are in other formats. Make sure to highlight the most relevant positions, projects and other initiatives, pointing out specifics and achievements that you think we should know about.
Where a cover letter is requested, answers to the following questions. We will not consider applications that don’t answer these questions:
What’s the biggest/most important problem you’ve solved with data? Why was that problem important? How did you go about solving it, and why did you go with that solution? (max 500 words)
How many ambulances are needed in Kenya? Explain your solution (max 500 words)
About Flare Emergency Response
Flare was born from the recognized need of private and public providers to better serve their consituencies. In areas underserved by public emergency infastructure, Flare tools help you provide the best care most efficiently. Flare is made by Capsule Ltd., a healthcare technologies company. CORE FEATURES Software infrastructure and operational support for emergency response teams, both government and private. REAL-TIME TRACKING Emergency response and medical transfers are time sensitive and strategic. Flare plans around real-time conditions, and tracks accurate location data for effective response. REPORTING Whether for donors, the public sector, or private sector accounting , reporting is at the heart of running your business effectively. And running an effective emergency response operation is at the heart of saving lives. RESOURCE MANAGEMENT Track, manage, and supervise resources using Flare's resource management tools. From different vehicle types, like ambulances and police cars, to personnel, like dispatchers and first responders, Flare gives you the big picture and all the details. COORDINATION In emergency response, we never do it alone. Flare puts coordinating multiple resources at the top: allowing responders to quickly organize and act effectively accross available equipment, first responders, vehicles, and organizations.