To ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and booking transactions and proper serialization and safe filing. The position has access to the organization’s confidential information that needs to be protected by adhering to the organization’s value by keeping information confidential. The Accountant will act as a resource and/or coordinate resources between Regional and country-based projects and perform other duties as defined by the department lead/leadership.
Duties and responsibilities
Program Support – 10% of the role
- Will regularly communicate with program, country, and regional leads to identify capacity needs and oversee Finance function.
- Represent the Finance team in various program meetings.
Accounting: 70% of the role
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Secure financial information by completing database backups, this includes saving all evidence action materials including the scanned payments vouchers to Box.
- Timely and correct tracking of the withholding tax of the vendors and remitting the same to the authorities
- Avoiding any legal challenges by complying with legal
- Coordinating the updating of the Asset register.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the Accounting system by ensuring accurate entries are done and charged to the correct billing details.
- Verifying all payment vouchers for accuracy and completeness before processing and posting into the accounting system-Intacct.
- Ensure accurate and timely Cash disbursements and Ensure proper documentation of all payments to staff, Sub grantees and vendors
- Provide financial and compliance guideline/training to program and operations staff.
- Manage accounts receivable from staff by ensuring the returns are compliant as per the policy, accurate and fully supported.
Budgeting, disbursements and accountability: 20% of the role
- Continuous and effective budget tracking Ensuring proper budget utilization, proper cost allocations communication with the program team, full accountability of funds.
- Preferred Minimum Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field, or similar.
- Registered with Institute of Chartered Accountant
Relevant Experience and Key Skills:
- At least 3 years of experience performing similar responsibilities required for the position and demonstrating progress in the role.
- Strategic and tactical critical thinker with good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A confident decision-maker who can communicate directions and solutions clearly to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Experience in managing Donor Funded Programs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows 7 and 10, Skype, Microsoft Office 2013-16, Sage Intact
- Good English – written and verbal competence.
Work Hours and Considerations
Primary work hours and location must include business hours (9:00 am-5:00 pm), Monday to Friday, in Evidence Action’s Nairobi, adjustments in agreement with the Director, Finance and Administration, Africa.
Off-hour work may be required as necessary for overseeing/completing planned activities, participating in international conference calls across time-zones, or responding to emergency situations.
Some travel. The Accountant will visit offices across Kenya, and other countries within Africa when necessary for the purpose of training, project management, and meetings of program and country staff.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action scales proven interventions that improve the lives of millions. We only implement cost-effective programs whose efficacy is backed by substantial rigorous evidence. We identify innovative, appropriate financing mechanisms and build best-practice operational models. We voraciously self-evaluate, learn, and improve our models for scaling effective interventions with a commitment to transparency, impact, and value for money.