People & HR Coordinator
Educate! is seeking a people and systems-oriented HR Coordinator to take on the Human Resources function in our Kenya Country Office supporting a new Out of School Youth Program. We are looking for someone flexible, driven, knowledgeable, passionate, and eager to learn more about all facets of HR and talent, to take on a full range of HR responsibilities including recruiting, on-boarding, payroll and benefits administration, compliance, culture and engagement, and more.
Educate! is growing fast and with this growth we are looking for individuals excited to work and grow in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment. As a member of the HR department, you will work in a high-performance culture with a motivated and supportive team of talented individuals, including our global talent team. This is a unique opportunity for the right person to help build the HR function in our Kenya office as part of a team that makes recruiting and talent development a top priority.
Recruiting, Onboarding, Compensation and Contracting
- Source and recruit high performers to build our growing team in Kenya.
- Run a structured and efficient interview process to select top candidates, ensuring a seamless experience for both hiring managers and candidates.
- Build on and represent Educate!’s brand in the Kenya talent market.
- Negotiate and finalize offers with new hires.
- Draw up and maintain employee contracts, including ensuring that contracts meet Kenyan legal and regulatory standards.
- Run a welcoming, high-quality orientation and onboarding experience to ensure that new staff are well prepared for their roles, understand the organization, and are engaged from the beginning.
- Manage and negotiate contract renewals and promotions.
- Communicate compensation philosophy to team and conduct market research to regularly update salary scale .
HR Administration and Reporting
- Secure, track, and/or administer employee benefits including insurance and annual leave.
- Secure and maintain work authorization for foreign employees as needed.
- Work together with Finance & Operations Coordinator to administer payroll efficiently and accurately.
- Maintain employee personnel files.
- Compile monthly HR report concerning staff, contractors, and volunteers.
Culture, Engagement and Performance Management
- Run performance management and goal-setting and reporting systems for staff, focused on strong individual growth.
- Ensure that the entire team understands and lives Educate!’s culture, including fostering open and strong relationships within the team.
- Establish an environment of open and honest communication and high engagement among Educate! staff in Kenya.
- Manage performance and disciplinary challenges, including administering disciplinary procedures and performance improvement plans when necessary.
Policies, Procedures and Compliance
- Propose, write, and revise and write HR policies as needed and ensure staff know, understand and abide by these.
- Lead creation of training manuals, HR manual and employee handbook, drawing from our manuals in other countries and with support from our Regional Operations and Finance Director.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in compliance with the employment law, engaging the services of lawyers where necessary.
- Have knowledge and mastery of the Employment Act and other legal instruments for reference purposes and to inform policy.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in human resources or a related subject.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience, with at least some exposure to human resources administration or a related area.
- Some experience working in a startup or social enterprise environment strongly preferred.
- Passion for recruiting and developing top talent.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous vacation policy and medical insurance.
- This position will be based in our office in Nairobi.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities. Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.