Safety, Health & Environment Lead
EABL operates within a multi cultural, multi national, multi currency environment. EABL comprises four business units: KBL, EAML, SBL and UBL. KBL is further categorised into Demand and Supply. The Demand business is involved in marketing and pushing the product to consumers. The Supply business is involved in production of beer and spirits.
This role will be involved in preventing accidents and injuries, guidance and, advisory on SHE regulatory policies, best practices in the industry, fire risk management for the KBL sites . The incumbent will be involved in developing and updating safety policies as well as implementing and making sure that staffs follow these policies, practices and laws.
This role works closely with the Operations team, Contractors, Security, Risk manager, engineering, production and Human Resources to manage and co-ordinate occupational safety, health and environment systems at KBL Supply- Tusker. There is also regular contact with external service providers such as global Diageo governance team, City fire brigade, emergency and rescue services, DOHSS, NEMA, KEBS, external risk auditors and corporate system auditors.
Responsible for the safety of:
Firefighting facilities – Kshs.150 million.
Assets in Tusker site – Kshs. 10 billion
Third party Hauliers with over 350 trucks in total
1600 Contracted staff across the supply business
73 third party service providers
300 full time employees
The Safety, Health, Environment & Fire Risk Manager is required to be competent in application of the key safety management processes and to be a process owner of one of the processes across all safety management areas. This includes being responsible for ensuring best practice in safety practice in liaison with local management.
The Safety, Health, Environment & Fire Risk Manager requires the ability to lead and influence change in behaviour and attitudes without direct management authority.
The Safety, Health and Environment manager and fire risk management requires the ability to lead and influence change in behaviour and attitudes without direct management authority while ensuring compliance to legal and other requirements by the company.
He should be impartial considering SHE & production conflict and give guidance accordingly and ensure contact with government agencies is well maintained to avoid conflicts.
He should assess, advice and audit compliance impartially to ensure continuous improvement.
This includes high-level decision making on emergencies.
Purpose of the Role
The role of the Safety, Health and Environment Manager and fire risk management is to direct, manage and co-ordinate Safety, Occupational Health, global management systems, environment and fire risk systems at KBL Supply-MAKE function. This is achieved through generation of Occupational Health and Safety awareness, driving adherence to statutory safety requirements, availability of safety standards, development of safe methods of work, provision of emergency and crisis handling resources, environment compliance and fire risk management.
On fire, this includes maintenance and review of compliance for new capex projects.
The role will also include fire systems advisory for the other KBL sites.
- Lead development and review of KBL health, safety and environment management systems and procedures; –Safety policy implementation and review.
- Fire system management which includes: Maintenance, Reviews of adequacy for new capex installations and
- Changes in the fire standards and phase out where appropriate
- Safety training to support competence development.
- Safe working methods for both Tusker and contracted staff through training
- Manage environment aspects to ensure compliance.
- Advising on change management of key stakeholders/processes impacting on health, safety and environment.
- Benchmark, draw, implement and manage Tusker safety & environment performance program; –Development of safety, health and environment strategies, plans/objectives.
- Annual safety & environment LTO and other internal audits.
- Monthly safety performance reports.
- Accident investigation and reporting.
- Safety promotion programs to all stakeholders.
- Lead implementation of Sever Fatal Injury prevention program SFIP
- Management of occupational health, safety and environment compliance programs; –Keeping abreast with new
- OHS & environment legislation and advising management accordingly.
- Planning for annual OHS, Environment, Fire rules and regulations, Radiation and ISO 45001/ 14001 audits and enforcement of corrective actions arising thereof.
- Relationship management with OHS regulatory authorities.
- Knowledge of local legislation
- Knowledge of international legislation – UK version
- Ensure Implementation of Food safety, Quality, Environment and Safety Management Systems according to FSSC 22000, ISO 9001, ISO14001 and ISO45001 requirements respectively.
- Lead development and review of KBL-Tusker environment management systems and procedures; –Training stakeholders for competence improvement.
- Develop lead indicators in the area of safety and environment for supply and Implement those and ensure effective tracking process.
- Guide and ensure local legislation is adhered to with respect to discharge parameters and air quality
- Guide and oversee waste management programs in aim of reducing waste, increasing reuse / recycling and minimizing incineration
- Guide and oversee implementation of pest control initiatives
- Supporting site risk management systemsEnforcement and adherence to statutory inspections
- Development of fire safety strategies, emergency response procedures and training of emergency response teams to handle first line emergencies.
- Overall accountable for occupational health and safety programs at Tusker supply including Brewing, Packaging, Engineering and Capex.
- Qualification and Experience Required
- A honours Bachelors degree in Science or Engineering disciplines
- Nebosh International Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
- Training in Environment and OHS law and management.
- Possession of Assessor/Lead Assessor certificate for OHSAS.
- Comprehensive knowledge of integrated management systems ISO 9001, HACCP, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 standards plus any other management systems that may apply.
- At least 8 (eight) years management experience in a food or manufacturing Industry, at least 3 (three) years of which must be in first line management.
- Experience in OHS management disciplines, incident investigation and route cause analysis, dealing with external authorities and managing/coordinating within a multi-site and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in driving safety performance of the Business Unit to minimize risks, maximize opportunities and enhance reputation for the system. Special focus on occupational safety and health practices
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company, a business built on the principles and foundations laid by the giants of our industry.