Material Quality Manager
This role works closely with Quality manager, Supplier to Plant Manager, Departmental Heads, Material warehousing, Stores, Suppliers, Customer Service, Marketing department, Government officers and Beer Opex.
- It is critical that the company maintain high quality of raw materials and brands through effective Quality Control/Assurance procedures in order to remain at the top in the market and satisfy the expectations and needs of the consumer at competitive cost.
- The quality measurement technology rapidly changing in terms of equipment complexity and the need for accurate rapid results.
- Very dynamic complex interplay of several departments across supply and demand, large no of suppliers, internal customer focus, needs to supply cost effective product and yet have very strict gate controls.
This position has no direct reports but works closely with Materials & Analytical Chemist, Packaging Quality team leader, Brewing quality team leader and the Spirits quality team leader.
The role has to ensure that the material quality assurance agenda is internalized by the suppliers, operations team and the wider business.
Purpose of Role:
- The prime purpose of this role is to ensure that all aspects of MAKE Quality (Processes, activities and systems) at production facilities guarantee Diageo Brands reputation, ensuring the safety and satisfaction of our customers and consumers.
- To protect the brand and business image by ensuring material quality is effectively ensuring we have the right products in the right pack dress.
- Develop, implement and monitor laboratory and process control procedures and standards to drive food safety and quality goals to drive end to end customer satisfaction.
- Ensure that all materials (raw and components) are analyzed to meet Diageo standards and Kenyan regulatory and legal standards
- Install tier 2 process confirmations on material inspections, handling at issuance, handling of ex line balances to drive ownership, adherence and compliance and prevent material quality deterioration leading to losses/ generation of non-conforming products
- Set and track daily material quality performance targets
- Drive customer satisfaction through implementation of robust gate controls that assure zero defects attributed to material quality.
- Embed root cause problem solving tool at the shop floor for every material complaint raised, through coaching and follow through with suppliers for effective closure of deviations. Conduct on boarding and continuous audits for suppliers to support business continuity and inject new ways of work to assure food safety and quality controls implementation as well as drive material quality improvement.
- Champion internal and external ring schemes to continuously upskill analyst’s capability and assure consistent accurate, repeatable results.
- Ensure availability, calibration, service and maintenance of all lab & inline equipment guarantees consistency and accuracy of measurement
- Execute activities related to ISO 9001, HACCP, FSSC22000, ISO 45001, and EHS. Ensuring systems are maintained and drive improvements in area of accountability, including participation in audits.
- Identify , manage and escalate any material quality incidents (i.e. ingredients, components ,process and final product) ensuring responsible managers are aware of significant internal or any external incidents
- Ensure effective Track and Trace practices (traceability) are in place at all stages in the MAKE processes– adhering to standards
- Champion supplier management framework to ensure only fit for purpose materials delivered to site to ensure full compliance of the materials to stipulated standards.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- BSc in Food Science – Technology, Chemistry or Biochemistry.
- Trained auditor certificate for QMS, HACCP, EMS & OHSAS.
- Overall, good knowledge of Quality and Food Safety legislation and standards
- Minimum of 3 years experience in production or quality assurance, environmental and safety management systems within middle management level in FMCG.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of quality systems, brewing and packaging processes and legal requirements to the food industry.
- Experience of Quality Management principles and processes.
- Hands on Experience in Lab standards and development of Good Lab practices and systems.
- Influencing and leadership skills
- Audit and HACCP experience, application of six sigma
Desirable –Knowledge and application of lean six sigma tools to min of yellow belt
- Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, gender, disability, religion or ethnicity.
- We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the unique contribution each person brings.
Flexibility is key to success in our business and many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways. Please talk to us about what flexibility means to you and don’t let anything stop you from applying.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company, a business built on the principles and foundations laid by the giants of our industry.