Regional Humanitarian Coordinator
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 – 10 years
Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED
Expected Travel : Greater than 50% Type of Contract :
Language Requirement : ENGLISH Application Deadline :
Employee Duration : Active Full-Time
As part of CARE’s priority to strengthen its humanitarian preparedness and response globally, region-based humanitarian coordinator positions have been established in major regions where CARE operates. Coordinators support country offices and regions in the initial phases of an emergency response, humanitarian programming and response, preparedness, regional donor relationships, capacity building, humanitarian policy & analysis and technical assistance in the support of quality emergency & humanitarian response.
The Regional Humanitarian Coordinator (RHC) provides critical coordination and support to CARE International’s humanitarian & emergency preparedness and response. In-between rapid onset emergencies she/he works with country offices (with a focus on high priority/risk countries), lead members’ management, members and affiliates to strengthen CARE’s humanitarian capabilities across the region in line with the Regional Road Map. This includes strengthening capacity for preparedness, emergency response, integration of emergency/humanitarian programming within CARE’s program approach, strengthening our gender in emergency capacity, humanitarian policy, and other related priority areas.
She/he also represents CARE externally at regional level in the humanitarian field with key forums, partners and donors, develops a contextual understanding of the region, and undertakes appropriate humanitarian policy and analysis.
- Support country offices, members and affiliates initiate responses to emergencies, in consultation with CEG (Care
- Emergency Group) and the lead member (as appropriate), including advising on start-up, assessments, and mobilization of resources.
- Represent the region internally on behalf of CEG and in crisis coordination meetings/calls, CI conference calls, and with lead members as appropriate; ensure information flow among country offices, CEG, lead members (line management and emergency units), and with other CI members.
- Establish strong and close relationships with CDs and Regional / deputy regional directors and emergency directors at CI (Care International) levels and plays an active advisory, supportive and coordination role in order to facilitate clear communication and coordination, integration of humanitarian and long-term development, contextual analysis, and address any potential issues related to our humanitarian work, emergency preparedness and response.
- Promote and guide quality in humanitarian & emergency programmes throughout the region. This includes promoting and guiding CARE offices in their adherence to our humanitarian aspirations (scale, size, timeliness, quality) and regional priorities identified in the road map, to minimum standards, including CARE’s
- Humanitarian Accountability Framework (including, program principles and its humanitarian mandate, policies, procedures & guidance as contained within CARE’s emergency toolkit), incorporation of gender and partnership approaches.
- Important stakeholder in contributing to the development and implementation of the humanitarian aspects of the
- Regional Road Map as part of the Regional team
- Support and advise lead members, country offices, members and partners on Emergency Preparedness Planning (EPP)
- Represent CARE International in regional forums and meetings in the humanitarian area including with regional entities, UN humanitarian agencies, other NGOs, partners, region-based emergency donors, inter-agency working groups etc. and coordinate with CEG and CI members as appropriate
- Monitor and develop understanding of ongoing regional contexts and vulnerabilities and produce occasional updates/sit reps and support country offices to develop their own updates/sit reps when needed
- Work with country offices, CEG’s HR(Human Resource) coordinator, lead members’ HR departments and technical specialists to support the staffing of the RED (Record of Emergency Data) and the Horn of Africa emergency roster with qualified and skilled staff within the region readily available to participate in CARE responses to our humanitarian and emergencies work within and outside the region
- Master’s degree or relevant combination of qualification and experience
- English essential French, Portuguese or Arabic desirable
- At minimum 5-10 years’ experience in humanitarian preparedness, risk reduction and response
- Experience and knowledge of the region
- Experience in programme design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, including SPHERE standards, gender, donor relations, security and protection considerations
- Experience in scale-up emergency response, gender and women’s empowerment programming and humanitarian accountability.
- Excellent training, coaching and mentoring skills
- High level of writing and communication skills
- Willingness to spend high proportion of time travelling away from home (approx 60%) and be deployed with limited notice period
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran . If you’d like more information about your
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.