Job TypeFull Time
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
To provide transport services for staff and other authorised passengers at the British High Commission (BHC) to and from assigned destinations within Kenya in a safe, efficient and courteous manner, strictly adhering to road traffic rules, Foreign & Commonwealth Office Transport Policy, BHC Transport Policy and Post’s security regulations.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in one of Nairobi’s biggest missions, providing an all-round logistics support to a growing mission. The successful applicant must have an ABCE, clean driving licence and have a minimum of four years driving experience. The applicants also require good working knowledge of the city, its environs and other areas of the country.
The individual will need to be extremely efficient in managing their time in an environment that is dynamic and liable to change at very short notice. The individual should be able to think ahead and choose the best route for the journey, demonstrate initiative, be extremely discreet and polite in all dealings with both internal and external contacts as a representative of the Mission.
Roles and responsibilities
- Carry out daily maintenance checks on BHC vehicles. Ensuring all vehicles are roadworthy before starting on their journey including tyres, petrol, oil and lubricants as well as spare tyre, jack etc.
- Drive authorised passengers to meetings and functions in and around Nairobi and up-country.
- Drive the BHC’s Armoured Vehicles.
- Meet authorised passengers at, or deliver them to, Kenyan airports as required.
- Accurately complete journey record sheets for all journeys in official vehicles.
- Ensure passenger safety by ensuring that they wear their seat belts and, if in an armoured vehicle, they receive a passenger brief.
- Have a well-documented journey plan when proceeding on long safaris. Use the issued tracking devices and satellite telephones as required.
- Ensure vehicles are serviced at the stated mileage and all details documented in the Logbook.
- Make pickups and deliveries of authorised passengers, furniture and equipment and deliver water to properties using the BHC’s water bowsers.
- Work on a pre-determined shift programme.
- Submit all purchase receipts to the Transport Manager and ensuring that any mechanical faults are reported to the BHC Mechanics.
- Maintain contact with the BHC by using the existing radio/communication system and ensure that fitted dashboard cameras are properly utilised.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentially and discreteness in discussions and travels involving the nature of the role, passengers and destinations, etc.
- Ensuring the safety and security of passengers and vehicle in your care.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Head of Section, Transport Planner or Transport Manager, including, but not restricted to covering for colleagues during official absences, and manning the BHC reception/switchboard when required.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Able to communicate effectively in English, in person, on the phone and in writing
- Possess a clean police record
- Possess a full clean valid driving licence (ABCE).
- Proven experience in driving heavy commercial vehicles i.e. trucks & water bowsers
- Minimum of a secondary school education KCSE certificate
- 5 years’ experience as a Driver within a government or NGO or Corporate/Office environment
- Good knowledge of local city roads, locations of government offices and main roads to other parts of the country
- Good computer skills
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Good driver customer service protocols and proactive organisational skills
- Specialised driver training
- Experience of driving B6 armoured vehicles
- First aid certificate
Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Working hours per week
44 ( in a 24hrs rostered shift system )
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About British High Commission
The British High Commission in Nairobi is the diplomatic mission of the United Kingdom in Nairobi. It is located in the Upper Hill area of Nairobi.The British High Commission in Kenya maintains and develops relations between the UK and Kenya.We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Kenya.