Job TypeFull Time
Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
Job Purpose and Key responsibilities
The purpose of this role is to ensure that there is accurate and proper recording of all transactions for Britam Asset Managers Company, Unit Trust Funds and Alternatives. The role also involves ensuring proper procedures and processes are carried out within the set guidelines and targets for Britam Asset Managers Kenya, Uganda and Britam Properties Limited.
- Oversee the preparation of the financial reports for Asset Managers entities in Kenya and Uganda including the Companies, Unit Trust Funds, Alternatives and Britam Properties Limited.
- Oversee the preparation of the valuation reports for the investment assets for the investment funds and any other products in line with both the IFRS requirements and the various valuation models for the different funds
- Assist in Budget preparation for the entities and Strategy Development
- Assist in structuring funds to ensure efficient accounting and reporting structures
- Ensure that there is data integrity by ensuring that all reconciliations are done in a timely manner
- Reviewing and posting journals into the general ledger and cash book entries across entities.
- Reviewing the bank reconciliation reports of the various entities.
- Reviewing all the transactions entries, accruals and other end month adjustments/ closing entries for the various entities
- Ensure prompt payment of withdrawals within the proper procedures to minimize risk to the company
- Facilitate both internal and external audit into financials of the various entities.
- Comply with statutory and other relevant regulatory bodies both in Kenya and Uganda
- Performs any other duties as required
- Delegated Authority: As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) or its equivalent
- 4-6 years’ experience in busy finance environment
- Fully qualified accountant with Certified Public Accountant (CPA)/Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)/Chartered Accountant (CA)
Change Leaders in Britam need to:
- Strategically lead a function to service customers from a sustainable and growing customer base whilst increasing profit;
- Continuously configure and adapt the functional area to most effectively suite the future view of the business;
- Introduce new concepts so that they are adopted appropriately at the right time (manage the rate of change);
- Be in touch with the changing industry, customer needs and international best practice;
- Improve the efficiency of the function by appropriately challenging managers about operational and tactical issues;
- Ensure the function has the most appropriate people capability through effective inspirational leadership, people development, and optimized succession planning;
- Ensure clarity of expectations for individuals in the function and other stakeholders across the group;
Facilitate functional integration;
- Ensure the development and establishment of appropriate behaviour and values (culture) within the function that aligns with the strategic direction and values of the business;
- Co-ordinate between functions and divisions to ensure optimization of the value chain and resources;
- Ensure alignment of strategy, objectives and deliverables within the function;
- Develop innovative partnerships and distribution channels to increase Britam’s market penetration;
- Ensure a seamless experience for clients;
- Appropriately allocate funds and capital to maximized shareholder value;
- Adequately manage operational risk;
- Increase operational efficiency;
- Provide access to accurate and consistent information and services across all channels;
- Improve quality and speed of decision making across the business.
Change Leaders Competency Descriptions.
- Deciding and Initiating Action – Ensures key departmental objectives are met, takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focusing on achievement of departmental results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with limited information available which may include tough choices or considered risks; decisions and actions take into account possible impact on all parts of the business.
- Leading and Supervising – Provides the department with a clear direction based on the overall strategic intent of the organisation; Building high expectations about the success of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive departmental climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent; Recognize the potential of individuals sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour; Push autonomy and empowerment downwards through the department.
- Persuading and Influencing – Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating to the benefit of the department; promotes the organisational strategy during departmental conversations; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of the department and the organisation; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the department’s impression and brand on others.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realise organisational goals within the department; sets and develops departmental strategies; identifies and develops positive and compelling visions of the department’s future potential; Ensure departmental Balanced Score Card objectives and KPI’s are met and
- Exceeded; Ensure Personal Scorecard Objectives are met and exceeded; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to, the organisation; Work with direct reports to ensure the cascading of the strategic plan into integrated departmental plans that are meaningful to individuals; encourages others to take a strategic and long-term view in terms of the department’s future; Emphasise the impact and importance of individual contributions to the successful implementation of the organizational strategy in the department; Evaluate my own and others’ performance fairly and objectively; communicates the organisational strategy, vision and objectives effectively across all levels in the department.
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking – Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the department; maintains awareness of developments, changes, Add value to the department by capitalising on new business opportunities; trends and possible risks in the department’s structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; Identify ways to increase the Britam competitive advantage, exploiting those that will bring the greatest return within an acceptable level of risk; ensures costs are monitored and controlled and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value; Ensure that sufficient data about financial and other parameters of departmental performance are available; Interpret departmental information objectively against appropriate benchmarks.
- Planning and Organising – Sets clearly defined departmental objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing organisational and market circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish projects; manages time effectively; monitors departmental performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Relating and Networking – Easily establishes, as well as assists others in building meaningful relationships with customers and staff across all levels of the organisation, inside and outside of the department; relates well to people at all levels; facilitates the resolutions of conflict and manages disagreements with tact and diplomacy.
- Creating and Innovating – Promotes departmental improvement within relevant scope of influence; produces and encourages new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates the environment for innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to the strategic benefit of the department.
- Adhering to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and organisational values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages departmental and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
- Achieving Personal Work Goals and Objectives- Accepts and tackles demanding departmental and personal goals with enthusiasm; leads by example by working hard and putting in longer hours in order to ensure successful implementation and completion of projects; show self-insight in own development needs.
- Adapting and Responding to change – Anticipates and effectively adapts to changing circumstances and ambiguous situations; accepts and actively drives new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different individuals or situations; Monitor changes in departmental issues, structures and dynamics and appreciate their implications for the business; Demonstrate an understanding of the links between the Britam’s structure, goals and capabilities; Constantly aware of competitors, trends and changes in the markets that the
- Britam works within; Maintains a focus on key priorities and deliverables, staying resilient in the face of pressure; Implement changes within my department to achieve set change goals; Responds flexibly to changing circumstances; Recognises when unable to cope and asks others for help; Uses change as an opportunity to improve ways of working, encouraging others’ buy-in; Takes ownership for communicating change initiatives clearly, ensuring smooth implementation
- Analysing – Strategically analyses sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system.
- Cost Management- Demonstrates an awareness of financial issues affecting my department; Use financial information to monitor departmental performance and guide decisions; Consistently identify opportunities to reduce costs within my department.
- Staff development- Create a positive departmental climate that fosters learning and development ; Identify development needs within my department; Ensure direct reports have personal development plans in place that are regularly reviewed; Provide honest and constructive feedback on my team’s performance; Act as coach or mentor when appropriate; Allocate power, responsibilities and authority to appropriate subordinates.
Technical/ Functional competencies
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Financial Accounting
- Preparation of Financial Statements
- Analytical –highly analytical and ability to challenge status quo based on quantitative facts and impacts
- Report writing-ability to develop reports
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the Eastern and Southern Africa region, with operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Mozambique and Malawi. The group offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset management, Banking and Property. Our Mission is to provide outstanding financial services to our customers. Our Vision is to be the most trusted financial service partner. We aim to provide our clients, with an unmatched offering, ensuring first class solutions that help secure the future.