Chief Operating Officer – General Insurance
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Administration / Secretarial
The Chief Operating Officer will be accountable for setting and driving strategic direction and providing executive leadership and management to the General Insurance Operations Organization, focusing on ensuring the department’s performance meets or exceeds customer expectations while concurrently driving operational efficiencies. The COO will play a significant role in developing and implementing processes and technology solutions necessary to achieve the organization’s business goals and objectives.
- Leading and executing the operational strategy of the GI business by Establishing and enforcing organizational goals, policies and operating procedures
- In liaison with the Underwriting Manager, ensure that the underwriting policies reflect the Company’s strategic risk management framework and are observed at all times. Ensure risk control mechanisms are in place
- In liaison with the Claims Manager, ensure that the claims policies reflect the company’s strategic risk management framework and are observed at all times Ensure risk control mechanisms are in place
- Defines the service operations strategy to ensure the business provides world-class service to all customer segments.
- Ensure operational efficiency in claims, underwriting, reinsurance and customer service departments in accordance with established SLAs.
- Put in place standards for interdepartmental service level agreements that will improve the company’s service ratings
- Ensuring service levels agreements with external customers and partners are put in place and are adhered to
- Defines annual operating budget for Operations and ensures unit operates at or below budget
- Manage key relationships with clients, intermediaries and service providers in the market by ensuring that service to customers and producers meets their expectations
- Provide effective leadership and direction to the various departmental heads. Managing and developing the team of Claims and Underwriting specialists
- Carry out market intelligence to ensure the company is in tandem with industry trends and adopts pricing mechanisms that ensure profitability across all products.
- Put in place control mechanisms that enable a measure of service satisfaction by agents, brokers, customers and the regulator
- Optimizing the use of technology, people, and defined processes to achieve an optimum competitive positioning and standardize operations and reduce turn-around time on key business processes. in the business unit.
- Driving process mapping and restructuring to obtain optimal operations with a clear bias for cost containment and fraud management. Identifies and implements on-going improvement initiatives to improve performance for Operations
- Oversee and give technical guidance on all complex and large risks – both underwriting and claims
- Evaluate reinsurance data and recommend changes where applicable to ensure a robust and optimal reinsurance program – Kenya and group
- Review facultative placements, fronting, and special acceptance -waivers to ensure no expenditure
- Ensure adherence of all regulatory requirements with regards to reinsurance, claims and technical acceptance of risks
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelors’ degree in a business related filed
- Masters’ degree is an added advantage
- Professional qualification in Insurance (ACII, FLMI or AIIK)
- 7-10 years’ experience in the insurance industry 3-4 of which must be in a senior management
- Proven experience as an Operations Manager within a Financial Services Industry (Banking and Finance/ Insurance).
- Extensive experience in ensuring operational risks are identified and managed.
- Significant experience in process mapping and restructuring to obtain optimal operations with a focus on cost containment and fraud management
- A deep understanding of leveraging technology and processes to standardise operations, reducing turn-around times on all key business processes.
- A demonstrated track record in optimising operations to enhance the overall customer experience at all customer contact points.
- Leadership category responsibility framework (Core Competencies)
Leaders Of Leaders In Britam Need To
- Ensure Business Objectives are met;
- Be vision carriers; facilitate, drive and extract the vision for the business with the functional team;
- Ensure the successful implementation of the strategy;
- Ensure a sustainable business over a long-term defined vision;
- Have a global understanding of business practices and local application;
- Have a long-term view on profit, functions and processes;
- Grow stakeholder value over the long-term;
- Grow profitably across products and all business units;
- Engage in continuous brand building to become the trusted partners to customers;
- Develop innovative partnerships and distribution channels to increase market penetration;
- Appropriately allocate funds and capital to maximise shareholder value;
- Work strategically to ensure market leading position;
- Adequately manage operational risk.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the Eastern and Southern Africa region, with operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Mozambique and Malawi. The group offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset management, Banking and Property. Our Mission is to provide outstanding financial services to our customers. Our Vision is to be the most trusted financial service partner. We aim to provide our clients, with an unmatched offering, ensuring first class solutions that help secure the future.