Data Analyst & Management Officer, SEEDSAT
SeedSAT is an assessment tool that provides an in-depth country seed system analysis leading to systems modernization and reform, which are required to increase the delivery and use of seed of improved varieties. The assessment uses experts and leverages other organizations in key component areaswho work collaboratively with private sector, governments and other stakeholders to jointly provide specific opportunities to improve their systems through a series of prioritized options for modernization and reform. This investment proposes to build new capacity at AGRA as an African-led organization, to lead both public and private stakeholders collaboratively through an assessment of functional components required for expanding to a healthy and vibrant seed system.
To support the successful delivery, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Data Analyst and Management Officer.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with travel, approximately 20%.
Reporting to the Head, Seed Research and Systems Development, the Data Analyst and Management Officer will be responsible for generating information products that guide the seed systems development and other technical teams on potential investment areas and impact levels with respect to the programs’ impact targets. S/he will be responsible for translating technical papers into visualizations that help the teams understand and diagnose issues in the different countries of operation. With an additional role of a digitalization specialist S/he will design the platform and support the many opportunities for digitizing and managing data generated within seed systems; to interlink the whole process for robustness and interactive networking and data sharing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Together with AGRA technical and country teams, work with government, public-private partnerships and private sector to accelerate sustainable expansion of digitalization of the SEEDSAT.
- S/he will lead the process within AGRA to collect, collate and anchor all seed data and integrate ICT solutions.
- Digital services shall comprise seed system elements and processes, information management, data sharing, linkages with stakeholder digital protocols and safety. Solutions will incorporate mobile phone, video, radio, GIS, virtual platforms, remote sensing inventory and seed system management, and other forms of electronic communications.
- In close liaison with AGRA Seed and Policy Units, drive digital solutions for analysis, segmenting, and diagnosis of in-depth research and development, seed production, seed regulatory processes, marketing, distribution and policy related issues in seed systems
- Position AGRA as a Centre of Excellence and leader in seed system diagnosis, identification, delivery, troubleshooting with national, private and non-governmental partners.
- Act as AGRA’s liaison for Seed System Digital Partners, as well as agricultural development fora and platforms.
- Represent AGRA in technology for development forums and workshops and continuously update teams on state-of-the-art solutions and new technologies.
- Provide strategic input, technical assistance, and in-depth analysis on strategic investments in digital solutions for agricultural transformation in Africa.
- Identify relationships with important stakeholders and governments within and outside AGRA that are needed to provide input into SEEDSAT data sharing analysis and interpretation
- Track the performance of SEEDSAT results within AGRA’s Countries of operation
- Support Collating, cleaning, updating and maintaining detailed progress data emanating from consultancies and AGRA interventions
- Analyze data and information available and generate summaries that guide future investments in countries
- Develop appropriate communication products such as PowerPoint presentations, infographics, among other visualizations, and reports that utilize the outcome of the analysis to help inform stakeholders on the performance of AGRA systems interventions, and SEEDSAT interventions
- Mapping and spatial analysis of SEEDSAT and AGRA grants and outputs
- Attend to GIS needs within the organization, including close collaboration with Digitization specialist, geo-coding, acquisition of spatial data to produce high-quality maps and maintain geo-databases
- Identify relationships with important stakeholders and governments within and outside AGRA that are needed to provide input into SEEDSAT data acquisition, analysis and interpretation
- Communicate with collaborators to provide input into the data acquisition, analysis and interpretation.
- Undertakes field visits as needed to conduct, supervise or verify data collection
- Maintains custody of a searchable database with the relevant geo referenced data
- Coordinate and maintain the knowledge centers in preparations for AGRA Centre for Excellence in Seed Systems CEiSS and priority countries
- Analysis of data and information available and generate summaries that guide future investments in a manner that is strategic, evidence-based and brings out the risks associated with the different choices as well as mitigation measures.
- Maintain a database with the relevant data that contains the outcome of the analysis conducted and develop a good working relationship with others within and outside AGRA that are needed to provide input into the data acquisition, analysis and interpretation.
- Train stakeholders in countries involved in SeedSAT work to collect meaningful data
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience
- MSc. Computer Science, ICT, programming, systems development, digital entrepreneurships, digital business solutions, or agricultural technology solutions, A strong research, data analysis, Statistical and publications background
- Strong experience and training in ARC GIS, ARC GIS Online related software.
- Experience and training in ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, or other remote sensing software desirable.
- Experience and training utilizing graphic design software (InDesign or eq), desirable
- Strong background in statistical analysis and interpretation
- 5 years’ post qualification experience in an agricultural program would be an advantage
- Excellent data management and analytical skills using various software and statistical packages
- Experience on the use of GIS and remote sensing software e.g. Arc GIS suite, ERDAS IMAGINE, ENVI, etc.
- Experience working with ICT solutions, ICT strategies, and analytics, data mining, reporting, analytical, and communications abilities.
- Understanding of government and private sector ICT policies and governance structures.
- Experience working within a multicultural environment, as well as the ability to work closely with diverse groups of donors
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, design and maintenance of databases and websites.
- An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts , the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 9th March 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
AGRA is an alliance led by Africans with roots in farming communities across the continent. We understand that African farmers need uniquely African solutions designed to meet their specific environmental and agricultural needs so they can sustainably boost production and gain access to rapidly growing agriculture markets.