Senior Capacity Development Advisor – LHSS East Africa
Job Type Full Time
Experience 8 – 10 years
Job Field Administration / Secretarial
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Senior Capacity Development Advisor for the Local Health System Sustainability Project’s East Africa Cross-Border Health Activity (LHSS/East Africa). The LHSS Project is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated health systems strengthening, with a goal to help low- and middle- income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. LHSS/East Africa in particular will work in partnership with USAID Kenya and East Africa (KEA) Regional Mission, bilateral Missions of the focus countries, regional intergovernmental organizations (RIGOs), national governments, private sector stakeholders, and relevant cross-border health authorities and health facilities (public and private) that are also in charge of the provision of health services to vulnerable and mobile populations that cross borders. At the end of two years, LHSS/East Africa will have increased access to and use of affordable and continuous quality health care in cross-border areas for this target population.
This is a full-time position based in Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to cross-border sites in the focus countries.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
The Advisor will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate and facilitate stakeholder meeting workshops and consultation meetings with RIGOs and relevant actors to prioritize partnership capacity-building interventions aimed at addressing identified capacity gaps
- Support the Chief of Party and other field office technical leads to facilitate the establishment and functioning of two technical working groups (TWGs) that focus on regional policies and regulatory frameworks regarding health financing and health information systems, respectively
- In collaboration with technical leads, create trainings for selected RIGOs staff and relevant national government representatives on cross-border evidence generation and knowledge management in the areas of health service delivery, financing, and information systems
- Support cross-border health officers in assessing cross-border health unit capacity, establishing relevant networks/associations and data governance structures, and building their capacity.
- Identify and provide STTA on targeted capacity building support to public and private health facilities based on identified capacity gaps, and on strengthening the capacity of local networks and professional associations, in the identified six cross-border health unit areas
- Provide support to institutionalize evidence-based annual cross-border health performance review meetings, and to share lessons learned across the RIGOs and cross-border areas
- The Advisor will report to the LHSS/East Africa Chief of Party, and be supported by the LHSS consortium partner Training Resources Group, Inc. (TRG).
- Master’s degree in organizational development, industrial psychology or management, and 8 to 10 years of experience in developing and managing capacity building programs
- Experience designing and conducting meetings and workshops
- Demonstrated experience in working in partnership with multiple host country governments/ government entities, donors, local partners, and other stakeholders
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams and/or work groups
- Proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required
- Knowledge and communication skills in French and/or one or more national languages in the region will have an added value
- Kenyan nationals and residents are encouraged to apply
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development. Specific areas we work in include: â€¢ Health â€¢ Education and workforce development â€¢ Climate change and the environment â€¢ Food security and agriculture â€¢ Housing and communities â€¢ Survey and data collection