Resilience and Livelihoods Director – East Africa Cross-border Resilience
The USAID RISE IDIQ Cross-border Resilience (CBR) Program aims to support efforts across multiple borders in East Africa in the journey towards establishing resilience in the Moyale, Karamoja, and Mandera regions. The Cross-border Resilience project will be structured to strengthen regional systems and institutions that expand resilience through strengthening individual households and livelihoods, and lead to increased flow of affordable and safe food, transforming and improving short- and long-term capacity to respond to shocks and stresses. The program’s activities are expected to build systems- level resilience to drought, climate change and conflict; strengthen livelihoods in relation to agriculture. farming, and food systems, contribute to reducing humanitarian needs; and build the capacity of governments in the region to prepare for, respond to, and recover from shocks and stresses, both natural and man-made.
This engagement with resilience is aimed to be achieved through 1) implementing integrated, complementary, and mutually reinforcing activities across the region, 2) sharing and scaling best practices in resilience across the region, and 3) identifying and promoting shared measurement of resilience across the region. Resilience efforts will work with a variety of stakeholders (regional and member state institutions, private sector, civil society and implementing partners) to address regional issues, such as: harmonizing policies, promoting regional integration, increasing economic opportunities, and facilitating trade and cross-border activities that promote resilience. These resilience activities will focus on efforts that increase cross border trade and access to safe, nutritious food and will complement other USAID and donor initiatives.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Market Resilience Director to lead market and resilience policy activities within the USAID RISE TO Cross-border Resilience (CBR) Program . The Market Resilience Manager will be responsible for oversight of market policy planning, resilience planning, implementation plans, and team oversight. This oversight will include the design, implementation, and technical oversight of all team activities and this position will be the lead and main contact for market resilience activities and communications with government entities and stakeholders at the national, and regional level . The position will be based out of Nairobi, Kenya and is contingent upon project award.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Work directly with and support the COP and DCOP on tasks related to governance, market resilience design, communications, and resilience implementation
- Provide important technical expertise and oversight of technical personnel in relation to market resilience policy activities
- Provide oversight for implementation of resilience activities, with responsibility (in collaboration with the COP) for the development of high-quality and timely deliverables, management, compliance, and reporting according to USAID and Abt Associates requirements
- Provide leadership, management, and support for the market resilience team
- A Master’s degree relating to governance, market resilience, food security, climate, conflict, and/or livelihoods
- Experience managing international development projects as a senior manager, especially in market resilience and/or livelihood programming
- Prior USAID technical director experience preferred
- 10 years of experience working in crisis/fragile areas, preferably in East Africa
- Knowledge of and experience with market systems in East Africa and good understanding of regional organizations working in food security, early warning and resilience (IGAD, FEWSNET, EAC)
- Understanding of components of the market system in the regions specified, especially agriculture, livestock, cross-border trade, food systems, and local industry
- Good understanding of the regional economic and political context
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Fluency in English required
- Bachelor’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Ten years of relevant experience, or PhD+ Eight years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development. Specific areas we work in include: â€¢ Health â€¢ Education and workforce development â€¢ Climate change and the environment â€¢ Food security and agriculture â€¢ Housing and communities â€¢ Survey and data collection